Chapter 14: A little embarrassing

As the sunlight gently leached my face, my eyes opened and my brain activated. Unfortunately for my heart, and my Doctor, priorities did not waste a second before submerging me. How? No. What? What time was it? Had? Had I not heard my alarm? Who? Would? Would he still be there?

Completely panicking, I rushed to the kitchen, not bothering to get dressed. Sleeping late was something I was no longer used to. And by seing the mess it let me in, I may not start anytime soon! While I pushed the kitchen/living room's door with strength, my feet suddenly stumbled on an unusual item. My head did not get enough information and time to understand the situation as I felt myself briefly flying before eating the flour. Fortunately, some primitive instincts had allowed me to catch myself with my hands before touching the floor and my head was spared from any hit. If my hands and knees still ached, that was nothing compared to the pain that broke into my ears when an extremely high scream exploded in the living room.

'AAhhh!' 'Oh my god Eva! What happened? Are you alright?' A flow of questions was now escaping the guy's lips who ran to me with a red face. All I could hear was my name and all I could see was how stressed he sounded.

One more time, I felt myself fly, but this time not toward the floor. He was carrying me and made me sat on the couch. Completely panicking he was no longer asking questions and just pressing my head into his fingers, looking through each single hair of my head as if his life depended on it. Perplex, I was barely processing the situation when we both heard a voice that made us jump on our spot.

'Ops, so sorry guys. Oh so sorry Eva! Erwin! I. I didn't know you would be there.' my brother was standing in front of us, looking at us as if he had met Santa Claus after being convinced for years, come on, what was I saying? Decades, that he did certainly not exist. The precious look on my brother's face could have made me laugh and would have been worth being recorded but, under his gaze, I realised what he may have thought. Erwin was almost naked. He was only wearing a black boxer which suited him very well, shall I say. He was very close to me and pressing my head into his fingers while I was in my summer and very short pyjamas. Worst, a guy shirt was laying on the floor, together with one of the pillow and a bedsheet.

My brother was clever but also very good at maths and if he was putting two and two together in the way I thought he would put them, then it was highly time to intervene to clarify the situation before it would get awkward.

'Well hum, we were...'

Too late. I realised that awkward it already was when Luuk put one of his hand on his eyes and the other on one of his ear and interrupted me.

'Please, no no no. Do not say anything. I am the one interrupting. After all you are married! So sorry.'

Erwin's fingers tensed on my head. There we were. The 'married' word.

'Hum'. I cleared my voice. 'Luuk, please hear us out...'

But again Luuk interrupted me.

'Please! Please! Please! Eva.' he was begging me with all his strengths. 'Do not justify anything. You don't have to. I do not want, please, to hear it'. He let a few second of silence, still hiding his eyes. 'I texted you to let you know that I would come to grab the things I had forgotten last week. I. I thought you would already be at work. I. I used the key you gave me'. He ended with a pleading and high voice.

Feeling more and more ill-at-ease, I was suddenly happy that Erwin removed his hands from my head.

'Well, hum sorry I may have missed your text, and my alarm. You can go grab your things in the room.' I whispered.

And then he left, as quickly as a bolt light, leaving me alone with the guy, in the awkward position we were in... 'Hum, so sorry...' I immediately apologised.