Chapter 6: Building up - Part 1

The next morning, the sounds of garbage collectors picking up the trash woke me up. 'Rrrwa 6am! Come on guys, some people need to sleep! ". Unfortunately, after 30 minutes, I couldn't get back to sleep. My eyes burned and stayed wide open.

"Why was it so hard to wake up ?!

Growling again, I finally decided to get up and have breakfast. Who knows, today might be the opportunity to finally apply for a job. Write my CV and start doing something with my life. I couldn't stay in bed forever ...

After drinking my morning coffee and eating some piece of cheese on sliced bread and brushing my teeth I called my mother to get my laptop. I had never used a computer since my waking up but I was sure that I had one of my own. Before.

But before I had even started talking, my mother was already babbling:

'Oh Eva! I am so happy that you call! How are you doing? You are so early this morning! You should come to see us soon! It's been three weeks already since your wedding. Time flies so quickly. But I am so happy to have you with us again. We miss...'

'Yeah, yeah mum thank you so much.' I interrupted her quickly, not wanted to hear how much they all suffered will I was in coma. Because of me. I could not handle thinking about my bad condition. Neither could I handle the guilt that invaded me. Speaking about that was too difficult. I quickly changed the subject:

'Well, you know mum, I wanted to get a job again. You now, be autonomous.'

'Oh that's great Eva. That's a good idea. Do you know what you would like to do?'

That was actually a good question.

'Hum, I haven't really think about that yet. I mostly wanted to get my laptop to start looking for some ideas, write my CV... I hope people will still be interesting in my profile...'

After a few second of blank, my mother quickly mumbled:

'Yeah, yeah. Sure honey. Well, well... Come have dinner with us tonight. That will be an opportunity to pick up your laptop... Hum... I hope it still works.'

'Oh yeah...' I had not though about that. Maybe the IT world was now much more advanced than it used to be. A year could change many things...

'Well, yeah. We'll see. Hum, can you pick me up?'

She paused.

'Hum... sure honey. We will pick you up if you want. At 7?'

'Yeah perfect. See you mum!'

'See you honey'.

Great, so now, I had one complete additional day of holidays. Note my sarcastic tone. It meant, that I had one full day with nothing to do. Again! After going around the flat for more than five times, lying in my bed and listening to some music on the radio, (new music sucked by the way), I finally decided to get out and to have a walk in Amsterdam's Oosterpark which was only 5 minutes walk away from my flat. Breathing some fresh air and being surrounded by trees, doing some exercice was all I needed.

My feeling toward the guy I married had changed a lot since I woke up. Fear, beginning of a friendship, flirt, lack of understanding, annoyance, anger. But I had to admit that he definitely knew how to choose a flat. Even if, we -or I- still needed to decorate it; with our budget, he had chosen an excellent quarter of Amsterdam. Close to the tramway station, to the grocery facilities and to the pretty Oosterpark: everything we needed was there. The flat was also not too far away from my parents' house which was at the South of Amsterdam, in a village named Abcoude-Baambrugge, 20 minutes away by car. Yeah, I know: long and weird name you would think. But this weird name hide a very pleasant and lovely village. Anyway, all these talking to say that from a material aspect, he and I had everything to start a happy life. All he and I needed was to be together and to talk.