Chapter 3: Friend time

I had been thinking about our kiss, our wedding, his behaviour and his words over and all over again. I almost could not sleep. I was looking at myself in the mirror and the least that I could say is that I did not like what I was seeing. My face looked bad.

If only I had kept on writing my life in my diary! It would have been so much helpful now. All I had were pictures of me with Erwin on which I looked happy. And so did him. Erwin knew me and, now, he also knew that I could not remember him. But still he wishes to marry me. He so much looks like a perfect prince charming... How did I ended up not remembering someone so exceptional?

I inhaled strongly and looked at my ugly morning face, I will do fine. We will do fine! And now, let's get ready! Once I went downstairs, my mother greeted me with a bright smile. 'Eva! Here you are! I thought that I would need to wake you up for your own weeding day.'

'Ah, but I trusted you to wake me up mum. You always do so!' I replied happily playing with her and hugged her. 'Where is dad?' 'In the living room with Emmanuelle and Audrey, greeting them with a coffee'.

Oh Emma and Audrey were already there! They were so early. I tried to arrange my hair in a little « orderer » way and almost ran in the ballroom. I was so happy to see them again. Emmanuelle and Audrey were my two close friends. We met at University and we were now living in different cities. But distance has not changed anything to our friendship. They were still nice, funny and helpful as they used to be once I met them. Contrary to the guy, I had never forgotten them. Never. Yeah memory is weird... Best friends stay in mind but boyfriend, soon to be husband, disappear...

'Eva!!!'

I heard the two of them shouting while running toward me to hug me. Wow, how I missed these two. 'Me missed you sooooo much Eva!' 'We are so glad that you finally woke up!' 'And look at you, you are looking ravishing.' 'Stunning' 'Well, with a lack of sleep maybe' I replied.

They both took a step backward. 'Yeah maybe' admitted Emmanuelle. 'But nothing that a good make-up won't hide!'

'I'm so happy for you Eva' mentioned Audrey in a soft way. 'You know, after you accident, we were so worried. I'm happy that everything goes more smoothly now'.

Her word moved my heart and my body as a whole. Audrey saw my reaction and grab some unexpected details in my face and grasp my hand. No words could alter my past and my injuries. Her hand on mine and a small smile on her lips nonetheless helped to carry the thoughts that never stoped barging in my head.

Once we reached my room, Emma reached my hand as well and looked at me, deep in the eyes. She did not need to talk. I knew what she was asking so I went on, choosing to tell them the truth.

'When I woke up, after so much time, I could not remember anything. I was like a baby with a body and a brain of a young women. Except that I had no memories. I knew how to walk, how to smile, how to talk. But who I was... This was a question that I could not answer. Despite some weird feelings deeply rooted inside of me, I had no clue of who I was. And then, steps by steps I have started to get more clues, to be myself again. I remembered my parents, my neighbours, you...'

Audrey and Emma smiled happily at that remark.

'I would have been so angry if you could not remember me Ev !' claimed Audrey before hugging me. 'But why do I feel that there is a but?'

I could have hesitated, but these girls were probably the people that I most trusted on Earth so I went on with my truth.

'Well, there is one major but.'