Chapter 6

The job application asked about horse experience. I put that I had little experience in that department. When it asked what side of the ranch I was interested in, I put farm. When I talked to Ross on the phone, he asked if I could ride at all. I said not really. He thought I'd make a good addition to the farm crew. 

I lied. And now I've blown my cover.

I worry that E will tell Ross I have a lot more experience than I claimed to all this time. I hope if Ross finds out I won't get fired for being dishonest. 

Working in the early mornings like this, the only two people who know what I can do with a horse are me and E. At first, I thought he may actually be protecting me from getting found out, but if I know E, it's really because he doesn't want anyone finding out he is taking lessons from me. Whatever. Hopefully, he won't say anything to Ross to save his pride, it will benefit us both.   

We are ending our fifth session with Jasper. He's standing great during saddling and packing it around confidently at all three gaits. His body is warm from his workout and a thin sheen of sweat glistens on his neck. He stands against the fence of the outdoor arena with his left hind leg resting; the toe of his hoof in the sand. E straddles the top rail above him, rubbing the shoulder closest to him. I am inside the arena holding the lunge line and giving directions to horse and human.   

"Slap the seat of the saddle."  E uses the palm of his hand to smack the leather and we both watch Jasper's reaction. He flicks an ear back at the sound, but stays in place. I have E throw a leg over the saddle on the horse's back next, keeping one foot on the rail, incase something were to happen. Jasper doesn't mind.   

E works methodically. He moves the saddle around on Jasper's back. Wiggles the stirrup on the off side. Then holding onto the top rail and keeping his left foot planted on a lower rung on the outside of the fence, he grabs the saddle horn with his free hand and lowers himself so he is partially sitting on Jasper's back, his right leg dangling on the off side

 "I don't want anything to be a surprise for him. I want him to be confident. Every time we show him something new, and maybe even a bit scary, and it doesn't hurt him, he gets more confident. Confidence in himself and also in us. Most colts that buck do it out of fear. They aren't prepared."   

We have fallen into an easy rhythm. We skip all the pleasantries and small talk. E has no use for those things, and I have found it is a lot simpler to omit them with him. He hasn't given me the warm and fuzzies by any means, but neither has he been rude or short with me over the past few days. I've adopted my own teaching style, and have actually surprised myself in that. We've been chugging along steadily with Jasper. E seems to be happy with what I've shown him and is catching on to things pretty fast.   

We wrap the lesson up and I head to the office to start my work day. I am thinking ahead to what I have planned for Jasper tomorrow. It's time for him to start wearing a bridle. He understands how to respond to the halter: laterally at the standstill, backing up, and softening his nose to it when lunging, so I feel like he's ready for us to build on what we've taught him so far. 

Teaching a horse to respond to rein cues is crucial for him to understand what the rider is asking under saddle. In this next stage in our preparation work on the ground, Jasper will learn how to stop and steer in the bridle just as if he was being cued by a mounted rider.    

I am looking forward to tomorrow. I'd nearly forgotten how much I love this. I walk into the office and for the first time, I have been beaten to work by an intern. It's Eric. And I know why he's here so early: he invited me to dinner at the restaurant in Tensleep, the next town over. And I agreed. I am sure he is eager to confirm our plans for tonight.