Chapter 12

I haven't seen E in almost a month. He and the others pushed the herd of cows and calves up the mountain for summer grazing on government land just as E had told me. Lisa and Will have both been back for a day off here and there, taking turns coming down. But E has not. It is a relief not worrying about running into him, since I still haven't gotten over the embarrassment. Hard as I have tried to fight it, I have softened towards him for looking out for me the way he had. 

 I irrigate. And irrigate. And move irrigation pipes. And put them back. And move them again. And finally, I learn to drive a tractor. When they get around to teaching me, I become much more valuable. I am able to help stack round bales on the trailer and haul them out of the field after they've been baled. I stack the hay. I clean out the corrals. 

 And even though I am sitting in the tractor for a good part of the day, my mind stays occupied with operating my machine and getting my work done. I didn't think I would actually like farming, but the tractor is awesome. And I do. I like it. 

Just when I hit my stride, Ross holds me back after our morning meeting.   "Jamie, I need you to take some horses up to cow camp after they get shod tomorrow."  

"But, I'm on the farm team." I can't help but protest.  

"I understand that. But my interns that are on the cow team are all up at cow camp. They are down three horses."   

"What? Three?"  

"Fate threw a shoe and got a stone bruise. Nickers cut her leg, and Sam has saddle sores. They need new horses, and I need you to take them. Apparently, you have some hidden talent with the horses from what I've heard."   

My eyes fall from his as I am reminded of how I have lied about that all this time.  

"Plan on staying up there a few nights. The crew can manage here without you. When you get up there, tell Lisa she can come down for a day off. And when she gets back, have E or Will take a day off."   

I want to protest again, but know I can't. I nod and Ross pulls up Google Earth on his computer and shows me how to get where I need to be. I will drive the truck and trailer up the mountain, and drop in at this place they call The Rim. 

From there, I will wind my way down into the heart of the Big Horns and hopefully, find the cabin. Ross gives me a detailed description on how to get there. I pay careful attention, knowing that there will be no cell phone reception once I get there to call for directions if I get lost.    

After work that evening, I pack a small bag with a few changes of clothes, a rain jacket, some toiletries, a water bottle, several packages of Ramen noodles, and a box of Poptarts. I am not sure what else I will need. And after worrying for the better part of the night, determine I can survive for a few days with what little I have put in the bag.   

I hold the horses for the farrier, and when he finishes shoeing the three I am taking, I load them along with Jasper into the trailer. My bag rests in the passenger seat beside me, and with a deep breath I start the engine and pull off. The road up the mountain has deep ruts, sharp turns, and makes for a slow ascent. I feel bad jostling the horses around behind me in the trailer every time we bounce over an especially rough part of the road. 

I make the correct turns, remembering Ross' directions. I have the windows rolled down, and the radio battling against the sound of air blowing through the cab of the truck. Even though the day is warm, I feel comfortable with the breeze through the windows. I reach a section of the road where the trees thicken. The shaded road brings on a cooler temperature. The air feels almost cold whipping through the truck. I know it is the higher altitude causing the change. I worry about the clothes I brought. I only packed tee shirts. I hope I won't freeze he whole time I am up here.