Chapter Twenty-Nine

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

Matty was exhausted. That was unusual for him, but he'd certainly expended a very large amount of energy. He'd used every trick he had to keep the King distracted so his friends could rescue the people he'd trapped. As he finally finished, Gandry grabbed him by his shoulders roughly, digging his fingers in until Matty nearly cried out in pain. Gandry had been a Knight for about three years, but Matty didn't know him very well.

"What the hell do you think you're doing, Matthew?" Gandry demanded.

No one really called him Matthew. Even the King, who was very fond of using proper names, generally called him Matty. Matthew just sounded too grown up, and everyone basically still viewed Matty as a little kid even though he was twenty. To be fair, he was as hyper as a child, and in a lot of ways, he was as innocent as one. Matty understood bad things happened in the world, often at the King's hands, but Julian and even the King had always worked hard to shelter him from ever experiencing any of it directly. The King might be evil, but he'd always had a soft spot for Matty. Even he couldn't stand to see the boy in pain.

"I sort of got carried away," Matty lied with an innocent grin. He shrugged apologetically. This time, the mess he'd made had been quite intentional.

"You're an idiot! You let this get way out of control!" Gandry shouted.

"I'm sorry, Gandry... I'll clean up the mess-"

Gandry slapped him across the face. Matty was so stunned, he froze in place. No one had ever hit him before.

"Your foolish antics cannot continue without consequences, Matthew Ishman! It's time someone taught you some discipline."

"I... I'm s-sorry..." Matty stuttered, not sure what else to say.

"Not yet, but you will be!" Gandry raised his hand to hit Matty again, but someone caught it and twisted it at what was clearly a painful angle.

"Raise your hand to him again and I'll break it," Atlee said firmly.

"Atlee, this is none of your concern," Gandry said.

Atlee increased the pressure on his wrist. "Apologize," she said sharply.

Gandry let out a cry of pain. "I will not," he replied.

"Suit yourself." She twisted his hand further.

"Atlee, stop," Matty said softly. "It's okay. You shouldn't be here."

"I'll make him forget it was me," she replied.

"Don't break his hand. I... I'm sure he didn't mean it."

Atlee sighed. "Matty... He had no right to hit you."

"I caused a lot of trouble today. He just got upset with me. Let him go, Atlee. Please. I don't want anyone to get hurt because of me."

She sighed. She looked into Gandry's eyes. "You didn't see me," she said as she shattered a potion at his feet. "Now get lost and leave Matty alone."

Gandry walked away in a trance. "Are you okay, Matty?" Atlee asked.

"I'm fine," Matty replied.

"I'm walking you back to your room." She did, careful to make sure no one was around to see her. The last thing they needed was for Marcus to find out she'd survived his murder attempt.

Matty smiled at her. "Thanks, Atlee. I appreciate your help, but please don't risk your safety for me."

"You're worth the risk." She returned his smile.