Chapter Thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Taylee was one of the few people who knew the King had returned. She rushed to find her father, desperate to speak with him.

"Father!" She cried. She hugged him as relief washed over her. Now she'd never have to worry about trying to open that stupid box again.

"Daughter," he replied warmly, holding her close. It was soothing to be in his embrace and to know he was back and she'd no longer be expected to run the Kingdom.

"Are you alright? Did the box cause you any harm?" She asked.

"I'm fine, Taylee, my dear. It was an inconvenience, but it did no real damage to me."

"Father, I wish for you to grant a pardon," she said quickly.

He looked stunned at her request. "A pardon?" He repeated.

"The Knights captured a Pirate, Father, but he's really just a boy. He is my age, and he is not some evil fiend, but simply a gentle soul who got mixed up in things as a matter of survival. He deserves another chance."

He stared at her. "They captured a Pirate and did not execute him immediately?" He asked.

"I intervened on his behalf. He's so young, Father. I knew he couldn't be a criminal."

"You defied my order, Taylee?" He demanded.

"I... I simply wanted to help the boy..." She replied nervously.

He slapped her hard across her face, stunning her into silence. Her flesh stung beneath his hand. He moved it away, but he still looked furious.

"You struck me..." She whispered. He had never done that before. He'd never raised his hand or even really raised his voice in anger in front of her.

"You defied me! How dare you stand against my commands?" He hit her again, harder this time.

Taylee stumbled against the wall. Tears began streaming down her cheeks. "I... I was only trying to do what I thought was right," she sobbed. "I never meant to defy you... He's only a boy. I believed him to be innocent."

Her father seemed to consider this. He softened his tone. "My poor, dear daughter... You are young and naive, and he is clearly a handsome young man. I cannot reasonably expect you to resist his charms when I have kept you so sheltered. He took advantage of you and manipulated your actions. Forgive me, my dear. I did not mean to lay a hand upon you." He offered her a handkerchief to dry her eyes.

Taylee knew Reggie had not manipulated her. Still, she was terrified. Her father's wrath was not something she'd ever expected to experience. "I'm sorry, Father. I made a terrible mistake," she said.

Mother was beaten and bloody, she remembered. She was afraid of him until he gave her the calming potion... What if it wasn't Pirates who attacked her? Did I take away my mother's only chance of safety? Did I help him trap her?

Her chest hurt. She focused on wiping away her tears. "My mascara must be ruined," she said deliberately, hoping to distract her father from his anger.

"All is forgiven, my dear. Learn from this," her father replied. "Go on and fix your makeup."

Taylee respectfully bowed her head before leaving the room. She fled to her bedroom, closing the door before giving in to her emotions and sobbing hysterically in the only place she still felt safe.

+

It was becoming very clear to Grimm that his time was running out. He was locked in his room and no one had come to check on him. There was no explanation, and the labyrinth had blocked him from communicating with Flynn and Marcus. That realization had proven to Grimm that, somehow, Luna and Sphinx were on to him.