[7]

Soundtrack: Delain - Stardust

    The moment I stepped a foot into the dining hall, all the noise coming from the crowded place faded away. At first, the Grisha thought that the Darkling was joining them since he was the only Grisha who was allowed to wear black; however, when they saw me in his colour, whispers began to raise.

    Four long tables were arranged in a square at the dining hall's centre and there were divans in the corners. On the corner of the square which was the furthest from the entrance stood a large ebony chair. Around the table to the right of it, the Etherealki were seated and to the left of it sat the Corporalki.

    If I had been wearing my blue kefta –my old kefta –I'd join the Etherealki table without any second thoughts but right now, I had no idea what to do. I just stood at the entrance as my jade-green eyes searched for a familiar face among the Etherealki and I heaved a relieved sigh when I saw Iwona waving at me.

    I could feel literally everyone's eyes on me while I walked towards the Etherealki table and took the seat Iwona had saved for me. I was sitting between her and an Inferni –there were red embroideries on her blue kefta –with long, ginger hair and blue eyes. The Inferni was probably the prettiest woman I've ever seen in my life but I couldn't understand why she was glaring at me.

    "Hey, Iwona," I said as I sat down between the two Etherealki. "Thanks for saving me a seat."

    Iwona smiled at me, "No problem, Val." she said, then she lowered her voice. "You didn't tell me you were going to wear black, which is freaking cool! I've never heard the Darkling sharing his colour."

    Her words caused me to blush. "I didn't know about it either. He wanted to surprise me, I guess, when he sent the black kefta to my room this evening."

    Radoslaw, who was sitting on Iwona's right, winked at me. "You look amazing in black," he said. "Suits you better than blue."

    Iwona nodded at her boyfriend's words, then motioned the Inferni sitting to my left with her head. "Valkyrja, meet Shura Kolacka –she's one of the most skilled Etherealki among us."

    I turned left with a small smile on my lips to introduce myself to Shura, who was looking at me with an obviously fake smile –I could still see the hard look inside her blue eyes. I didn't know the reason but it felt like she hated me already.

    "So, you must be the new Shadow Summoner." Shura said as we shook hands. "Is it true that you're a descendent of the babinki?"

    "I'm sorry?" I asked with a frown on my face. Babinki was a Ravkan word that meant barbarians and was mainly used to refer to the Fjerdans.

    The weariness in Iwona's voice showed that Shura's indiscretion was something they came across quite often. "Shura, for the Saints' sake!"

    Shura shrugged indifferently as she reached for her fork. "What? You all know that I'm right –her nation burns us and hunts us down."

    Shura's words were causing my stomach to be knotted and it made me understand how the Darkling felt when he was blamed for the Black Heretic's mistakes. It was not the same, of course, but I could empathise with him better.

    The atmosphere was disturbingly tense and we were barely talking but after Shura left the dining hall, I found myself being drawn into a pleasant conversation with Iwona and Radoslaw. Which made me understand that Shura had been the one spoiling our mood.

    Iwona and Radoslaw told me about how things worked for the Grisha in Ravka. All the Ravkan children were tested when they were around four and the Grisha among them were taken from their families to be educated here, in the Little Palace. They went to a special school where they learnt about the Small Science. After they finished school, most of the Grisha became members of the Second Army or they were sent to the great houses to serve with noble families. The best, however, were chosen to remain at the Little Palace to finish their education and join the Darkling's service.