[23]

Soundtrack: Eleine - Memoriam

The Darkling gradually raised his left arm and simultaneously, I did the same with my right arm. On the left part of the room stood a wave of his shadows, on the right part stood mine. The crowd began to whisper when they saw me summoning the shadows but this was only the beginning.

    Once both waves were big enough to cover the room, I let my hand fall to the side and my shadows disappeared. Then, I extended my left hand in front of me and the wall, which was made out of the Darkling's shadows, began to flow towards my fingers. I heard several people gasping and I really wanted to see the expression of the Grisha; however, I needed my full concentration for the next act.

    My left hand still extended, I drew a semicircle in the air with my right hand. The Darkling's shadows created a thin layer as they spread around the empty space between the chandeliers and the ground. It looked like a shadow cloud which floated above the people's heads.

    Then, as I kept the shadow cloud with my right hand, I closed the fingers of the left one. Slowly, small spheres of shadows –my shadows –emerged from the ground, beneath our feet. The crowd began to squirm in their places while the spheres ascend until they were floating between the shadow cloud and the people's heads.

    I took a deep breath as I felt my head beginning to spin. The number of shadows I controlled at present was immense; moreover, a huge part of them didn't belong to me at all, which made it even more draining to control them. In all likelihood, this action demanded more strength than covering the lake's surface with my own shadows.

    And I was strong enough to carry it out.

    As I gently opened the fingers of my left hand, I simultaneously lifted it up. The spheres escalated into the shadow cloud and the moment they went through the cloud, the Darkling's shadows made way for mine and the ballroom lightened for a brief moment. The light from the chandeliers could reach beneath the shadow cloud momentarily; however, it had been enough to show the audience what I was capable of.

    Once the spheres emerged from the other side of the shadow cloud, I first put my left hand down. Then, as I also put my right hand down, the Darkling loosened his grip on his shadows and the cloud slowly disappeared. I took a deep breath; I was anxiously waiting for the reaction of the crowd. My heart was beating so fast.

    The moment the Darkling's shadows disappeared completely, the crowd began to cheer. I sighed with relief as a wide smile formed on my lips –the performance had been a success.

    Feeling the Darkling's hand on the small of my back, I turned my head to look at him. "Are you alright?" He asked with a concerned tone but he could not hide the shinning of his slate-grey eyes. I nodded.

    "Yes, don't worry." I told him, which brought a smile to his lips. He looked absolutely alluring when a genuine smile was visible on his face and all I could think about was kissing him. I wanted to press my lips against his so bad. "We did it."

    "You did it, Valkyrja." He whispered at me as he offered me his arm. I held it and we got off the stage. People were talking about what they had seen just a few seconds ago and some of them tried to have a word with me; however, we simply walked past them. "Let them live out their excitement first," the Darkling told me as we exited the ballroom. "Once the dust settles, you'll have to spend some time talking to them, answering their questions."

    I laughed, "Ah, more practices of being political!" I spoke sarcastically, which caused the Darkling to chuckle. Then, we were held up by five Grisha and my eyes shone with happiness as I saw the impressed and proud looks on my friends' faces –even Shura looked impressed.