Chapter 8:

"Come on, Corvina. Admit it already, you like the guy." Her smirk was getting on my nerves, I stopped from circling around her and smacked the smirk right off her stone cold face. 

"The smirk really didn't go with her outfit." I heard a singular laugh from behind me, "I thought I told you to go on." 

"Oh come on and miss my princess having a fight? I wanted to see you beat some people up, is it a crime?" Volpina tried to speak and I slapped her yet again, she was weak against me. 

"Well, if you get injured I guess I'm liable." She swung a punch at me, "Oh hold on, little miss perfect. Did I say you could fight back?" A wimp escaped her lips as she attempted to swing a few punches at me. I grabbed her by the legs, causing her to fall onto the floor. "I'd do more damage, but what fun would that be?" Another laugh escaped my lips, causing me to go into a laughing fit. "I'll leave the rest up to you all, have fun." I walked away and sat next to Chaton, watching my two bosses fight someone we thought we could trust. 

"Hey, are you doing okay with all this?" I rested my head on his shoulder again, watching kicks, punches, anything you could imagine being thrown at her. 

"I'm fine, I just wish I could've trusted her. I didn't want to be enemies with her, yet I am. I thought of her as a sister, I can't trust her and it hurts." His arm wrapped around my shaking body, we watched them fight and fight, then Nathalie slammed her across the dance floor. "Woah, girl. I see you!" Nathalie and I always had a good bond, I wouldn't want that to be broken. She laughed and came over to Chat and I, the kitten being half asleep. 

"Can I talk to you real quick, Alex?" I looked over at chat and tried not to wake him up, I walked outside with her, Gabriel still adding some finishing touches. "I know you like him and I don't blame you." My eyes lit up with shock, I felt the cool breeze on my shoulders, shivers being sent up my spine. 

"I'm not even going to try to deny it, how did you know?" She laughed as she propped her arms on her hips, looking over at me. 

"As a woman, I can see the signs between actually loving someone and not. The way you depend on him, the way you look at him, the banter too, it's all so genuine, and it never once sounded forced. Plus all you said in the cafe was more of a pointer, don't worry I would never tell Mr. Agreste. I know how it feels to have someone you love ripped from you, I wouldn't do that to you. Just make sure you're being safe, when he's angry it's never good. You're an amazing kid Alex, don't let him get under your skin." Her words melted my heart, I gave her a quick hug and headed back into the gala. Volpina unconscious on the ground, Hawkmoth there with bloody knuckles fighting kitty. I ran into the fight, using my scythe and hit Hawkmoth on the shoulder, sending him up against the bloody wall. Chat fell to the floor, an injury on his leg. 

"God, what even happened?!" I took off a piece of the fabric from my dress, wrapping it around his leg. 

"No clue, I heard him mumble something about it being his chance and then next thing I know my leg's bleeding and he's manically laughing. I was caught off guard, honestly." I apply pressure to the wound and feel his arms weakly wrapped around me, "Thank you." Hawkmoth was still up against the wall, struggling to get up. 

"So, you wanna explain this?" I continued apply pressure and felt tears fill my eyes, falling down my face. 

"You really do care about him don't you? Why else would you care if I hurt the poor little thing?" I felt anger rush to the surface, the lump in my throat going away. 

"Yeah, I do. THE ONLY REASON I LIED IS BECAUSE YOU PUT MY JOB AT STAKE." I felt my voice become more powerful, leaving me drained I continued in a blood curdling whisper. "If you think I would've lied to you, you're mistaken. You gave me the choice of losing my source of happiness or losing my job. If I lied, I kept both. But now, I know the difference between a want and a need. I need him, I thought I needed you. But in reality, I can expose every single lie you've told. Your son will hate you, I'll become someone better, I already know your plans, your wife in the basement will hate you, see how much I can make your life a living fire pit? That's life, it's been fair to you, and now it's not!" I felt two hands grab mine, Nathalie and Chat. 

"Even if I was here for you once, I'm not here now. Corvina's right." Nathalie grabbed a dagger from her boot, "Now, slow and painful death?" He backed up, running out of the gala. 

"You can't run for long, hawky." I looked back at the two people who never gave up on me, "Thank you, thank you all." But my story wasn't going to end there.

I felt something behind us, as I turned around Volpina's eyes were fluttering open, taking the knife out of her back. "Did you think I was that easy to kill?"