Introduction

Note: In this alternate universe, just like in The Walking Dead, zombies are not part of popular culture so people don't have a point of comparison for what these things are. And since walkers sounds cool, we'll go with calling them walkers.

An unknown amount of time after the start of the outbreak:

A journal lies open on the floor of an abandoned high school. It looks to be a regular school notebook with spiral binding and doodles on the cover, but regular notebooks don't tend to have blood on them. There's a name scrawled on the front in sharpie: "(Y/N)." While some pages were written meticulously with relatively clean handwriting, others were obviously scrawled down in a hurry with smudged letters and some areas completely incomprehensible. Words would fade halfway down the page as the pen ran out of ink, before suddenly having the defined, dark lines of a fresh pen, but only after many random lines seemingly to try and coax the last bits of ink out of the previous writing utensil.

We think it was someone trying to prevent the quirk singularity event: A bioweapon shot into the atmosphere with the ability to erase quirk functionality completely. Emitter quirks were completely neutralized while mutation quirks became more of a hindrance than an advantage as they lost their functionality and were little more than cosmetic differences. There was a week of people fumbling around in confusion trying to figure out what had happened to their quirks. Crime rose, panic ran rampant, and everyone was afraid and confused. Then people started dying. Something went horribly wrong, or maybe it was the intent of the person who had built the bomb, but people started becoming infected. It started with a fever that killed the host, but then they seemed to come back. They had no heartbeat, no respiratory function, nothing. They just wanted to eat. And they're fast. They can only be killed by destroying the brain. We learned that the hard way.

I was a student in Class 1A at UA's Hero course before the infection, but I guess that doesn't matter now. My quirk is gone, but I didn't take it as badly as some of my other classmates. Many students fled, but some of us stayed behind. We've fortified the school as best we could, but it's a big place. We couldn't secure the entire campus, so we're mostly focused around the main building. Guess this is how life is going to be now.

As of day 112:

Yuga Aoyama- unknown. left on day 1 and didn't come back

Mina Ashido- alive

Tsuyu Asui- alive

Tenya Iida- alive

Ochaco Uraraka- alive

Mashirao Ojiro- dead. Killed day 32 when trying to protect Hagakure

Denki Kaminari- alive. Lost an eye day 63

Ejiro Kirishima- alive

Koji Koda- dead. suicide. Day 53

Rikido Sato- dead. Infected gunshot wound. Day 41

Mezo Shoji- unknown. Separated from group to distract and lead a herd away from the group trying to help Kaminari after he injured his eye. Day 63

Kyoka Jiro- alive

Hanta Sero- alive. Pinkie and ring finger on left hand shot off during a shootout day 82

Fumikage Tokoyami- alive. amputated left arm after being bit on day 77

Shoto Todoroki- alive

Toru Hagakure- dead. Bitten day 32 and dispatched by Katsuki Bakugou

Katsuki Bakugou- alive

Izuku Midoriya- alive. deaf in left ear after grenade incident day 102

Minoru Mineta- assumed dead. Separated from group day 12.

Momo Yaoyorozu- alive

Shota Aizawa- alive

Hitoshi Shinsou- alive

Midnight- dead. Killed while trying to fortify the school entrance to allow us to escape.

All Might- comatose

Day 126:

You stood alone at your post on the wall, holding your rifle to your chest as you watched the school gates. Things had been way too quiet lately and it unsettled you. Last time people got comfortable ended in Tokoyami getting bit. You couldn't let that happen again. Things were different now. Letting your guard down is what gets people killed. You'd learned that the hard way...