Chapter 4: Our people come first

After the explosion... but before the beginning of hell on earth.

Bakugou's head felt like he had just been hit in the head with a sledgehammer and he sat up groaning in pain. "Ow... what the fuck happened...?" As he sat up, his eyes widened. The windows had been shattered, broken glass scattered over the hallway floor. Kirishima and Midoriya were also waking up, looking around with similar expressions of bewilderment and confusion. "Ugh... My head feels like I just ran into a wall." Kirishima said, rubbing his bruised forehead that had been struck when he fell to the ground.

Suddenly, they heard a blood-curdling scream. Still disoriented, they all ran towards the noise, shoes crunching on the broken glass underfoot. They stopped when they saw you, Tokoyami, and Kaminari panicking. Dark Shadow was manifested and was thrashing around and screaming in pain. "What's happening?!?!?!" Kirishima shouted, rushing to Tokoyami's side as he doubled over in pain.

"I don't know!" You shouted back. "But something's wrong with Tokoyami and Dark Shadow!"

"FUMIKAGE!!!!! WHAT'S HAPPENING TO ME?!" Dark Shadow cried out, genuine terror in the shadow entity's voice. "IT HURTS!!!" "Dark Shadow! Return!" "I -I CAN'T!!!" Dark Shadow's form started to flicker and Tokoyami clutched his stomach in pain. His red eyes widened in a rare display of fear as he realized what must be happening. "Dark Shadow, NO!!!!" He screeched, reaching out to his friend and trying to wrap his arms around him, but they just phased through the flickering form. "FUMIKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!" Dark Shadow's voice devolved into a chilling scream of pure agony as his form seemed to be ripped apart, severing from Tokoyami and wavering like a feeble flame. "No! NO NO NO NO!" Tokoyami wailed in despair as the purple entity faded to a mist, his hands clawing at the floor as if he could somehow catch some of the essence and bring him back.

Bakugou looked down at his hands, trying to confirm his worst fear. His fear weighed heavy in his gut as he fought to form even a small spark, but nothing happened. "Oh no..." "Oh no? What 'Oh no'?!" Kirishima said. "Kiri! Try activating your quirk!" "What are you-" "Just do it!" "Ok! Fine!" Kirishima was confused why he was asking this, but he realized once he tried to activate his quirk only for his skin to stay completely the same. "G-guys?" He stuttered, his voice small and weak. "I think our quirks are gone..."

....

Day 130:

As you roamed in the overgrown yards of the abandoned campus, you were surprised to see Todoroki sitting in the shade of a tree with a notebook resting in his lap. Walking up to him, you saw the scattered pencils resting on the grass beside his leg and the eraser clutched in his hand. The side of his hand was smudged gray with graphite and his tongue was stuck out the corner of his mouth in concentration. "Todo? Whatcha doin?" You inquired, stepping up beside him and peeking over his shoulder. It obviously wasn't a storebought sketchbook. It looked like he had taken a normal spiral notebook, taken out all the lined paper, and rebound it with plain sheets of paper. It looked like he had used whatever paper he could, the sheets of varying cleanliness and states of distress from rips and tears. He looked up at you and gave a silent chuckle. "Hey, you little snoop." "Yeah, I'm a snoop! So what're you up to?" You asked again, sitting down beside him on the grass. He relented to your unquenchable curiosity with a smirk, turning his tattered and patched together sketchbook towards you.

"Woah..." You whispered as you looked at the sketch before you. It wasn't a flawless realistic rendition of its three subjects, but it was beautiful nonetheless. It was obviously drawn with a lot of love and care put into it. "Who are they? She's really pretty!" You said, pointing a finger at the girl on the far right, careful not to touch the paper and potentially smudge his hard work. "They're my siblings. Her name is Fuyumi and she's my older sister." He then pointed to the light haired boy on the left. "That's Natsuo, my older brother." He paused as his finger drifted to the boy standing in between Fuyumi and Natsuo, his hand shaking slightly, but he steadied it quickly, hoping you hadn't noticed. "And... that's Touya..." He said quietly and you looked to him with worry. "Sorry. I just haven't said his name in so long." "Since the outbreak?" He shook his head, his two toned bangs swaying in front of his face. "Before that. I haven't seen him since I was really young. He ran off years ago." He let out a long exhale.