Preview

Annabeth

Annabeth looked out the window, smiling in a way she hadn't since last summer. Carefully, she opened the letter Sophie had sent yet again and looked at the picture fondly. 

Sophie and Keefe were acting like total goofballs in it, playing with what looked like (and probably was) a baby direwolf. Flipping over the postcard, she read the words Sophie had written to her in mentally.

Hi, Annabeth! Hope you're having an AMAZING day, week, month, year, and I can't wait to see you this summer. Wishing you well, Sophie. Scrawled across the bottom in a different color was Keefe's message; Hope you're having fun, and remember to explode something for me! -Keefe.

It was almost electric, the ecstasy of that moment. They were going back to camp, and already she noticed landmarks that were familiar to her from the last times she had taken this drive up (and then back down) the winding, wild road.

Carter

Carter looked around, smiling when he saw Magnus climb out of the bus and begin to wander slightly. Holding on tightly to his backpack straps, he ran up to his friend and hugged him.

Laughing in surprise, Magnus hugged him back, and when Carter stepped away he said, "Hey, dude! Good to see you too."

An unfamiliar voice said warily, "You know this guy, Magnus?"

Carter blinked at the dangerous looking girl (who was probably Muslim based on the fact that her hair was covered in a green hijab). 

She was glaring at him, but her glare eased up a bit when Magnus began to talk about how cool camp had been last year and how they had been in the same group. Carter edged away slightly, glad when the rest of their group walked up.

There were a few faces missing and a few new faces in their places, but soon they had everyone's names straight. A voice, familiar but not in that it was a bit more wavery than usual called for them to follow it. 

Pushing his way to the front, Percy made a path for the rest of their group to follow in so that they were right behind Keefe. Instead of talking to him, Carter opted to watch, even as he ate his lunch.

The meal went very similarly to last year's, except for the fact that as Keefe called out the names of their group, Sophie was nowhere to be seen.

As they trailed out of the dining hall after him, Carter saw one of the younger kids run up to Keefe and say boldly, "We're gonna help you find the elf princess!" before twirling on the spot.

What was that about? The counselors the kid was supposed to be with caught up, the rest of the group trailing behind, clamoring in a way that made Carter want to plug his ears.

"Sorry, Keefe. I thought it would be a good idea to have them help, but Silena convinced everyone that she's an elf princess. It probably won't hurt anything, but... I hope we find her."

Keefe nodded, his voice cracking. "Me too."

The other counselor turned off into the first biome, leaving them in a much needed quiet that still rang with the strange words that had been exchanged. 

Sorry, but the book should be out soon. If you've realized what's missing, don't spoil it for anyone and if you got it right you can let me know in the second book :D

Galaxy, for the last time, signing off.