Chapter 21

Starlingwing stared at Lavenderpaw anxiously as the little silver she-cat sat with her eyes closed, muttering quietly. Junipertwig had insisted on waking the apprentice up in the middle of the night after both Strikpaw and Starlingwing had ominous dreams about her. The medicine cat seemed to think that Lavenderpaw connecting with Spider was urgent, and couldn't wait until morning.

"Okay, I'll talk to you some other time Spider. Bye". Lavenderpaw finally meowed.

Her blue eyes snapped open and she looked startled. "That was a much longer conversation than the first time we talked. I could still only see his eyes, bright yellow". 

"What did he say?" Junipertwig asked urgently. "Anything important?" 

Lavenderpaw shrugged. "Not really".

"Are you sure that's what the dreams meant?" That was Lionstar's voice. The medicine cats had notified him about the dreams and asked for permission to let Lavenderpaw talk to Spider. He had seemed dubious, but wearily agreed.

"Yes, I'm pretty sure". Junipertwig nodded. 

"Well, maybe it's not meant to happen yet". Strikepaw reasoned. "Perhaps we should just let Lavenderpaw continue connecting with Spider, until we figure out what the omen means".

Starlingwing sighed, letting her mind wander as the medicine cats discussed what they should do. She looked up at the sky, a dark blue stretch with no clouds in sight. Starclan winked down at her, and she gazed at the twinkling lights imploringly. Please give us some more guidance. She waited anxiously for some type of a sign, but nothing disturbed the still night.

"Mother?" Starlingwing was jerked out of her thoughts as Lavenderpaw whispered in her ear. 

"Yes dear?" She whispered back, moving closer to her daughter.

"I'm scared, why am I so important all the sudden?" Lavenderpaw's blue eyes stared up at her, round with terror.

Starlingwing gave her a comforting lick around her ear. "I'm not sure, but there's no need to be frightened. Everything will work out in the end, you'll see". She mewed reassuringly. But inwardly, Starlingwing wasn't sure that was true.

Alright, enough is enough. Lavenderpaw is scared and she needs sleep. Starclan knows how hard Alderbush is pushing her in training, Starlingwing thought to herself with annoyance. "Okay, I think it's time for Lavenderpaw to go back to her nest. We can discuss this another time, when things seem clearer hopefully". She shot a meaningful glance at Junipertwig.

"Oh, yes of course. We can all gather tomorrow to discuss it further". Junipertwig nodded, seeming to notice for the first time how scared Lavenderpaw looked. "How about I give you a poppyseed to help you sleep better?"

Lavenderpaw nodded, relief showing in her blue gaze. "I'd like that. I'm tired, but I think I'm too worried to sleep".

"I'll go fetch one". Strikepaw volunteered, hopping to his paws and trotting towards the medicine cats den.

"Thank you, Strikepaw". Junipertwig called after him. The apprentice waved his black and white tail in acknowledgment before slipping through the den entrance.

While Strikepaw was getting a poppyseed, Starlingwing gently steered Lavenderpaw back to the apprentices den. She could tell that her daughter was overwhelmed by the destiny she had been given, and Starlingwing couldn't blame her. She was so worried about her daughter, and whether or not she'd be able to fulfill the prophecy and go on to live a normal life. 

After she had settled the apprentice back into her nest and Strikepaw had given her a poppyseed, Starlingwing padded slowly back to the nursery. She carefully curled herself around her three kits, who were all sleeping soundly. Looking down at them, she found herself wondering whether or not they would have difficult destinies as well. What if Gladekit is destined to die protecting her clan? What if Shadowkit is destined to become leader someday? Starlingwing had almost believed that Shadowkit was destined to die as a kit after her sickly start. But, she had gotten better and was growing just as fast as her littermates. What if Slykit is destined to switch clans? What if  I'm destined to die of some illness, and my kits have to grow up without a mother?