Pet Talk in a Trapped Room

Requested by: FinalIdiot

It's has implied Oumeno in the beginning but I promise that it never appears again in the story.

I wrote about this pet talk first in my HimiKaeMaki book but I promise I made this one different from that one.

~~~

Love across the Universe.

What kind of reality show is this?

“Kokichi let us out!” Kaede banged on the door to the supreme leader on the other side.

“Yeah, I would, but Tsumugi exchanged a lot of things for me to do this. Even a date which I could care less about.” Kokichi grinned, “And that’s not a lie.”

“Is it with Himiko?”

He shrugged, “Can’t say. Wait, did you just assume?”

Kaede banged again at the library door, “Seems like the only option because, I don’t know, you told me on our third day here to stay away from Himiko saying your secret organization would do worse than kill me but break my hands so I wouldn’t be able to play the piano anymore.”

“I didn’t say that.”

“That’s a full-on lie, you said that to me without a doubt. You even gave me a scary glare like you were going to kill me right there without your people there.”

“Kokichi you little bastard open this damn door!” The other female in the room walked up into the door. Kokichi chuckled, “As I said, I can’t, I don’t even have keys to open the locks. It’s Tsumugi who does, Maki.”

Maki grumbled and stood straight up, “Then go to Tsumugi and get the keys.”

“Maki, do you have a brain in your head, I said I can’t. The only way you can get out is to ‘get to know each other better’. Then Tsumugi would come and get you out.” Kokichi said and leaned his head on the door, “Well, who knows really, it could be a lie that was written in my notes.”

“You little…”

He leaned off and waved, “Bye!”

They heard the stomping of his shoes leaving the door. He was gone. Now there were only two. How were they supposed to get out now?

---

It’s been an hour. An hour of nothing. No progress, only silence. Both of them are on opposite sides of the room still looking for an escape. But their chances of escaping the locked room would be the chances of Kokichi apologizing. Not happening.

They sat at the table in defeat.

Kaede placed her hands on her lap, “Maybe, we should try and get to know each other.”

“So you’re following what Kokichi said?” Maki cringed, “Not only is that bad but how would Tsumugi know we got along, she’s not here, and I doubt she’s outside the door listening into our conversation.”

Kaede pointed to the cameras, “But she could ask Monokuma if we did, it’s easy as that, he’s the only one with access to the cameras.” She placed her elbows on the table, “So, do you have any pets?”

Maki looked to the side, “Stray animals don’t count, so I had none.”

The blonde placed her palms on the table, “Of course stray animals count, what do you mean they don’t?”

“Because I didn’t physically take care of it, it just popped up randomly during my train- while I was walking outside.” Maki stuttered her words a little. She started playing with her hair, “That’s why it wasn’t a pet, it was just waiting outside the building for me.”

“Oh, that’s so cute!” Kaede waved her finger, “So was it a stray dog or cat.”

“A fox.”

Kaede flinched a little, “A fox?!”

The caregiver nodded and leaned her hand on her cheek, “It seemed to be abandoned as it never moved from the spot to go to his mother.” She closed her eyes, “During my endless train- caregiving. That animal was there for me, even though I told it to go away, it was always there for me.” She frowned, “But one day it was gone and it never came back.”

Kaede placed her hand on Maki’s, “I wouldn’t know about a pet running away since I never had one but you must’ve been heartbroken.”

“It’s saddening when something you like disappears. But my instructor saw this weakness and disciplined me.” The brunette looked to the side.

The pianist's eyes went wide, ‘What kind of orphanage is this?’

“That conversation was too personal.”

“Wha- a pet isn’t too personal!” Kaede disagreed. She placed her hand on the brunette's shoulder, “What about this, once we get out of here, I’ll buy you a fox as a pet!”

Maki lifted an eyebrow, “Why, we just met.” The blonde smiled, “It’s about me having a new friend and making sure they’re happy! That fox made you happy, right? I would love to make you happy!” Maki blushed a little at the sudden speech.

Somebody wants her to be happy? This never happened before. She never really deserved happiness. Not with all the things she’s done in the past. Even with avoiding people, she thought no one would care for her much. Yet, being locked in a room with the most annoying person she didn’t want to be in with, had the chance of making her happy. Someone nobody offered her before.

“You want a price, right?” She pointed behind her at the door, “This is why you’re doing this?”

Kaede removed her hands from her shoulder, “No, of course not, I want to be your real friend!”

Maki blinked at the words that came out of her mouth, “But, I've never had friends before.”

“...”

“...”

Silence filled the room once again. Maybe in shock.

“I’ll be your first friend then!” Kaede grasped Maki’s hands, “I promise to be your friend until the end! Our first step would be the fox!”

The other female blushed a little harder, feeling embarrassed with how much she’s blushing around Kaede.

They then heard the door being unlocked. They did it. After one conversation they were free to go.

Maki sighed, “I guess you didn’t mean what you said now since the door is now unlocked.” She got up from the chair and began walking to the exit. Kaede stood up, “I’m not lying! I’ll be your friend from in here and out! Even if you have trust issues, I will never stop being your friend!”

With those as Kaede’s last words, Maki left the room they were once trapped in. Looking back at it, Kaede doesn’t seem like the one to lie about that. Even if she was annoying, she won’t give up on the friendship of her new friend.

She smiled. Maybe she would be her first friend.

And maybe, one day, she can tell Kaede her secret.

~~~

Yes, I headcanon Maki has a pet fox and she loves it with her entire life. She has a soft spot for the fox and whoever tries to cut between them would be dead.

🔦Make sure you carry a flashlight!🔦