CHAPTER 1

"Charlotte, we've got more customers!" Aunt Lisa hollered from downstairs. "Coming, coming!" I muttered under my breath. Biting my tongue, I hurriedly iced the last pale pink lily of my enchanted pond-themed sponge cake, before skipping down the creaky steps to the shop front.

The space was crispy-clean and gorgeous, as always. It was dotted with largely encased cakes, with designs of midnight blue, lavender-pink and red velvet. Each one wondrous, special and breathtaking in its own way. The sweet morning sunlight streamed through the wide windows, casting a soft glow around the bakery's printed sign. MISS MUFFET'S PAT-A-CAKE BAKERY, it read. I saw it every day, and it always made me smile.

"Charlotte!" Aunt Lisa repeated exasperatedly. "I have to get more sugar from the shop. Can you take over? We have people waiting." I snapped out of my daydreams and whipped up a pen and notebook, stationing myself behind the white-wooden counter space.

"Welcome to Pat-A-Cake Bakery!" I mumbled, barely looking up. "How may I help you?"

"Chillax, Cloak Girl, it's only me," a teasing voice replied.

Not unexpectedly, I looked up to find a pair of warm brown eyes staring intently at mine.

Oh, great. Hansel.

I'd known Hansel for about six years now, ever since I moved into the village to work as an apprentice for my aunt's bakery. Ever since my mother disappeared. Ever since the Big Bad Wolf incident happened.

Hansel delivered cakes from the bakery to other people on his pegasus, Peggy. (Not the most creative name, I know. But once you get to know more about Hansel, you'll see that he doesn't have much common sense XD)He delivered weekly newspapers, too. And today happened to be "the day". How could I have forgotten?

He tipped his newsboy cap in mock formality. "Sup, Charlie?" I cringed at my nickname. Charlie. Noticing my expression, he gave me a lopsided grin; one which I attempted not to return.

I failed to hide it.

Hansel was my best friend, but that didn't mean that he wasn't annoying. At times, I simply couldn't put up with him. But even through all my scowls, he managed to make me laugh. And that's what made him Hansel.

"Just give me the paper already," I urged him. Yes, this was the way we conversed. I wasn't the type for small talk.

His dimpled smile faltered. His happy, freckled face was replaced with a frown. 

I gave him a concerned look. "What's up?" I asked. "Lost the copy?" I didn't believe this assumption for a second. Hansel had never failed to deliver a package in his life. His brain may have been all mushy, but he was a boy that was true to his word.

He shook his head ever so slightly, causing his chestnut-brown bangs to glint in the sunlight.

"Then what?"

I've never seen him this quiet for so long.

"Earth to Hansel?"

He sighed a long, deep sigh. "I won't be able to keep the truth from you forever. Might as well get it over with," he said unhappily. Fear clawed at my chest. Did he mean that...?

My sea-green eyes hardened into a glare. "Give. Me. The paper. I have customers waiting."

"On a Sunday morning like this?" he lifted one eyebrow, smirking.

I could have slapped him. "Stop stalling. The paper. Now."

His hand fumbled through his strap bag and he shoved an inky scroll across the counter, not meeting my eye.

I was in the middle of unravelling it when Hansel turned for the shop's door. "Take care, Red," he whispered, so softly that only I could hear. My breath hitched. And just like that, he disappeared.

I only willingly told two people in this world my secret. I didn't trust a lot of people, but I trusted them more than anything. One: Aunt Lisa, and two: Hansel. For my safety, they never mentioned my past life, or who I really was. But now, when I heard Hansel say my name, I felt a slight shiver run down my back. And I knew why.

And as I unravelled the scroll, it only confirmed that my worst fears were becoming a reality. My life in disguise, as "Charlotte Muffet" was soon to be over.

***

Hey everyone! This is my first draft of chapter one so it's horrible, but I hope you like it anyway! Look out for a few more chapters coming out this week! And don't forget to vote if you're enjoying it so far!

~ LKS ❤