CHAPTER 3

I skidded down the cobbled streets, blindly pushing past the bustling carts and chattering people. The differences between me and them had never been so great. 

I leaned against the main squares' fountain, pausing to catch my ragged breath. My fingers tightened around the smooth marble as I craned my neck to hear what they were saying. 

"A red cloak!" I heard people mutter in panic.

"Could she really be...?"

"I'm not taking any chances."

"Thank goodness! The police! Here they come!"

I stood up abruptly and curled my fingers around the worn leather of the satchel.

I have to get out of here.  

I bit back a scream as a figure tugged at my cloak and spun me toward them. "We have to go. Now."

I had never been so grateful to hear the voice of Hansel. Before I could mumble thanks, he quickly grabbed hold of my arm and we tore through the gloomy alleyways, the shouts of the crowds fading into the distance. Right, left, straight, another left. We ricocheted from street to street as we ran. Faster and faster and faster. Until we -finally- reached the stables.

He let go of my arm and gave out a short, piercing whistle. A beautiful and striking horse galloped towards us, stopping short when she reached Hansel. She had a coat of pure snow-white, with matching hair, entangled with vividly-coloured flowers. Her wings were large and majestic, each one twice the size of the bakery's wedding cakes.

"Take Peggy," he said.

"What?" I argued. "But I can't, she's yours!"

"She's the fastest pegasus there is. Take her. We don't have much time." The tone of his voice was dangerously calm.

I nodded, defeated.

"There she is!" I heard another shout coming from the trees.

"Go, go, go!" Hansel cried, pressing something warm and round into my apron's pocket.

"When will I see you again?" I asked meekly, hoisting myself on top of Peggy's smooth back. 

When will I see Aunt Lisa again? When will I see my mother again? When will I see anybody that I've ever loved again? 

"I-I don't know." Great. Just the answer I need. 

And with that, he whistled again and Peggy lifted her feathery wings, soaring into the air.

***

Hi! I just have to say, I'm so happy for getting 40 views in only 2 days! And all the votes! Thank you for your support, it means so much to me! I hope you liked this chapter, even if it's a bit short. :)

~ LKS ❤