CHAPTER 7

The group halted in front of a peculiar tree that soared high above all the rest. It had a massive, coffee-coloured trunk that was about the size of a usual house, taller than Queen Cinderella's palace. Long, gangly strands of Ivy twisted around its long branches. 

But that wasn't the strangest thing of all. 

It had a polished, apple-red door, smack in the middle. With intricate, loopy letters digging deep into the bronze knocker. 

The initials on Hansel's badge. O. F. R. 

Goldie grunted. She pulled out a deep, amber studded necklace hidden under her deep ebony cloak. It held a pendant. A charm that looked similar to Hansel's badge. Too similar. 

She knelt down on one knee and pressed it against the knocker. 

Suddenly, the whole forest seemed as though it had frozen in time. Birds stopped squawking. Streams stopped gushing. Leaves stopped rustling.

Nobody moved a muscle, their eyes transfixed on the knocker.  

It was as though everything, living or not, was holding its breath.

Who the heck are these people? Creepily staring at magic doors?

A soft hum sounded from the door. It grew louder, and after a few whirrs and clicks, the door swung open with a blood-curdling CREEEEK

Goldie stepped forward and yanked the pendant out of its place.

I swallowed, catching Jack's eye. His face was plain with disdain- and questioning. It didn't take a genius to know what he was thinking.

How did you find this? Who gave it to you? And... why?

"Welcome to Silverglade," Flora said. "My full-time office."

"Aaaaand the entrance to our humble home," Jilly added melodramatically. 

"After you," Jack said in a numb sort of way. He inched closer to me and carefully slipped the badge back into my palm. I sighed internally; it was reassuring to have it back. But a question still lingered at the back of my mind. I forced it away.

Mustering all my courage, I stepped inside the place that I didn't realise would forever alter my story.

***

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I apologize for my delay- and the length of the chapter😬 anyhow, look out for the next one coming tomorrow! ;)

~ LKS❤