Chapter Five: Holidays call for...wait, what holiday?!

I am successful in ignoring Brandon for a week. This is the longest "cold war" we've had, and the first time for him to totally ignore me. It's crazy how, all of a sudden, he has stopped talking to me and is acting like I don't exist. Mom's kind of worried because he's not dropping by. I just told her that Brandon's brother is back from his trip, so she doesn't have to feel obliged in worrying about my best friend. But because he's my best friend who's been in my life for technically a lifetime, I can't blame my mom for worrying.

My little brother, Jester, misses Brandon, too. Since I don't play basketball and have no interest in doing anything connected to any type of sport, Brandon has become Jester's playmate. But now that Brandon's not here, and it's partly because of me, I try to fill the empty space he has left behind. So when Jester asked me to play basketball with him, I did not hesitate to say yes.

Jester's just ten years old, and I'm still five feet taller than him. Still, that doesn't stop him from beating me on basketball, and that kind of amuses him.

Since we're taking a five minute break, I go inside to drink water. Then I hear my phone beeps. There's a text message.

There are no classes today because our School President's birthday is technically a holiday, so I thought it was Brandon. But no.

It's Stefan.

Stefan: I'm on my way to see you.

WHAT IN THE WORLD???!!!!

I call him, and I don't care if he's driving. Sorry, authorities. Sorry, President.

"Hello, Jen," He picks up on the first ring.

"What do you mean you're on your way to see me?!?!" And I'm not calm.

"I meant what I meant," He chuckles on the other end. "I'm on my way to see you."

"I heard you, and I'm not deaf and definitely not an idiot," I hear Jester coming down from the stairs. When he sees me, I signal him to wait. "No classes today right? It's a rule that we should not see each other if there's no school."

"Yes, I know."

"Then why are you coming?! I'm playing basketball with my brother so you're not welcome."

"You're playing basketball?" He sounds excited. Oh shoot, I should have not said that. "I'm now really on my way there."

"Track's your thing, not basketball, so don't come over," I try to plead. Well, if that can be considered as pleading.

"Just because I play track, doesn't mean I don't play ball, Jen," I can sense him rolling his eyes at this very moment. "Sports are in my blood."

"But you're not welcome," I wince, because that has made me sound like a snob when I'm actually not. I just don't want him to come over, and that's far from being a snob. Right?

"I don't care."

"I'll call the police."

"I don't care."

"I'm calling the President,"

"I'm not actually afraid of him. Sorry."

"Ugh," My little bro has heard me grunt so he goes back inside to check if I am okay. I give him an OK sign.

"You sound excited," Stefan teases me even more.

"I hope you get lost."

"Oh no, Jen," He sounds amused. "I still remember where your house is. I've dropped you home countless times last summer to even forget."

"I HATE YOU!" And I utter this with all the rage I can muster.

"I know I'm irresistible," I imagine him smiling on the other line. "See you,"