Chapter Twelve: I'm Officially Missing You

If there's one thing that will make everyone at school excited and crazy apart from basketball (the sport our school pretty much dominated in the last five years), it's track and field. Why, you ask? Well, it's because our track team has never lost in any single event for eight years in a row. Yes, no losses for EIGHT freaking years! It's pretty cool and...overwhelming.

And because students and professors alike can't stop talking about the upcoming track meet, which is two weeks away, my doubts on whether I should be there for Stefan or not, or whether he wanted me to be there or not are growing. Maybe it will all depend on Aubrey, if she's going to be there.

As one of the top track athletes in school and in the amateur league, Stefan has to be on campus at five in the morning for an early practice. I just can't understand why they keep calling it 'early' practice, when it should be 'super early' practice. Seriously, who's up at four or five in the morning? Well, definitely not me. I try to argue with him, but all he does is laugh at me.

Stefan called last night to discuss our arrangement in the coming two weeks prior to the track meet. Because he'll be busy in the morning, I have no choice but to ride the bus.
And because I am afraid to be late in class after almost failing a subject due to tardiness, I arrive about half an hour early on campus. I left home around six in the morning, and bought a cup of hot coffee at a convenience store nearby.

While I am passing by the gym (and I linger there for maybe a minute or two), the phone inside my jeans pocket starts buzzing.

Stefan: Did you arrive safe? Or are you still stuck somewhere?

Stefan once joked about me getting stuck on the bus and not being able to get out of it for twenty four hours. At first, I was laughing along with him. But as he became too descriptive, I realized it was no fun. I am not born claustrophobic, but if I get stuck on a bus full of people, with no oxygen and just carbon dioxide circulating, I'll die.

Me: Actually, my other boyfriend drove me to school. He's cute.

Stefan: Even cuter than me? Ouch, Lee. I was just gone and you found a new one.

Me: Don't worry. You'd get over me fast.

Stefan: I don't know. Girls like you are hard to get over.

I know we're just exchanging jokes and punchlines, but I wonder whether I'll find someone who will tell me that getting over me isn't easy. Maybe if I am like Aubrey, I'll have someone like Stefan who will go all out just to win me over.

Me: Too bad, you kept falling for the same type of girls.

It is meant to be a sarcastic joke about him falling in love with Aubrey, but Stefan must have taken it seriously because he changes the topic real quick.

Stefan: Did you have breakfast?

And I don't want to push it, so I let the conversation be about breakfast, which unfortunately I am unable to have this morning.

Me: I bought hot coffee at Rush.

Stefan: I said eat. You don't eat coffee. You drink it. I am asking if you've eaten any food.

Me: I'll just go to the cafeteria later after the first class.

I am about to dispose of the cup of hot coffee in the trash can nearby when Stefan's name suddenly flashes on the screen. He's calling. I swipe right to answer.