Chapter Thirty-Three: Expect the Unexpected

It's March, which means college decisions are finally rolling in. Seniors are either ecstatic after being accepted to their main choice or heartbroken after getting that big fat rejection letter.

It's also the third week of March, which means I'll start getting the results for the schools I've applied to.

And today, the results are out for University of Notre Dame and UNC Chapel Hill, which are my top choices.

That is why I'm here in my favorite waffle house, contemplating if I should finally check the results.

Cacay is supposed to be here with me, but she then has to take a half day from school to accompany her mom to the hospital. I'm happy for her, though. She's received an offer from Swarthmore, which is her main target. She fell in love with it after hearing more about their Film and Media Studies.

Stefan is supposed to be here, too, but he's still in training.

As for Brandon, well, I will just text him the result. I know he is preoccupied with everything NYU as results will be out late next week. I hope Brandon gets the big, resounding yes he's been aiming for.

Okay, enough with the others. I really have to check my own results.

Taking a deep breath, I open my laptop and wait for the site to load.

This is it. There's no turning back.

"Lee!"

To my suprise, I see Stefan walking up to me with a blue and metallic gold (the colors of Notre Dame) balloon on hand. He sports a just-got-out-of-the-shower look, meaning he drove straight here after their training. He ties the balloon's string onto my chair's armrest and takes a seat beside me. "How's Notre Dame? Have you checked your results?"

I shake my head. I know that the more I delay it, the more I will feel the pressure. But I'm scared because whether I admit it or not, my future lies in a simple yes or no.

Stefan scans my face and his expression says that he's able to read my mind.

"Lee, know that whatever the result is, you are still awesome." He then takes the opportunity to playfully pinch my nose. "And that you will rock the world one day. Are you ready?"

"Manzano, you're just making me even more nervous!" I cover my face with my left hand, but he then kisses me on the cheek.

"You'll be okay, okay? Now go check it."

I look at him and take another deep breath. I guess this really is it. There's really no turning back this time.

Logging into my account, I pray that whatever result I get from Notre Dame, my heart will be able to take it.

Then the words I've dreaded since 9th grade flash before me.

"I AM SORRY TO INFORM YOU..."

I did not get in.

I read it again, and it still says the same thing.

"I did not get in," I say it loudly this time, as if that will help me recover from shock.

For a split second, all I can hear is my heart beating.

"Oh Lee..." Stefan then moves to hug me. He does not say another word. He just runs his fingers against my back to comfort me.

"I mean, I totally understand. It's just that I'm sad," I whisper after staying silent for a minute or two. All my life, my dream has been to attend University of Notre Dame. I know the moment I laid eyes on its campus on a Youtube video that I have fallen in love with it.