Chapter Six: Welcome to Stefan's world

The Manzano residence is nothing short of marvelous. Their three-floor, white and black, minimalist mansion is like one of those featured on MTV Cribs or My Celebrity Home. They have five cars (yes, five) and three dogs: two Labradors and one poodle. Flowers are everywhere: orchids, roses, magnolias, plus a fountain to complete the Pemberley feel. There's a bench which looks more like a large marble stone than a bench. On their front door hangs "Home Sweet Home," and if this is my home, well, I'd never leave.

An old woman, who looks like she's in her sixties, opens the door for us. Her face lightens up upon seeing Stefan and I together.

"Nana Rosa," Stefan greets her. He takes her hand and squeezes it, a way of showing respect. "Is mom there?"

"Yes, she's upstairs," Nana Rosa looks over to me. She touches my hand as a way of greeting. Her smile is warm, and I can't tell whether she already knows me or if she's really this kind to guests. "Come in."

I smile shyly and start removing my ballet flats. I didn't want to leave dirty sandal marks on their pearl white tiled floor.

"Here," Stefan hands me a pair of white slippers. He notices that I was having a hard time bending (boo you, mom jeans) so he takes my flats from me and places them on an empty rack.

"Thanks."

Stefan then takes my hand and introduces me to Nana Rosa. "This is Jennifer, Nana," I have never thought I'd hear him say my first name, and not my nickname. He turns to me and he pauses for a few seconds. "My....girlfriend."

Did I hear it right? Did he just introduce me as his girlfriend? But why? Aubrey's not here.

"Oh," Nana Rosa hugs me and plants a light kiss on my cheek. Her eyes are like saying 'I KNEW IT!' "Welcome to the Manzano residence, Jennifer," Then she notices that Stefan's wearing a different shirt—my dad's dark blue polo shirt which is far too big on him. I know because of how her eyes linger at him. But she stays quiet.

"So," Stefan brushes my cheek with his thumb.

"You just wait for me in the living room, okay?" Then he kisses me on the forehead.

What is he even doing? I thought we already agreed that there should be no kissing.

Nanny Rosa walks me to the living room which looks simple and grand at the same time, if that's even possible. It's simple because there's only one big black sofa, a white center table, and a furry grey carpet. It's grand, well because the center table looked like it has diamonds in it. Crazy, right?

"Do you want juice, coffee or tea?"

"Oh Nana Rosa," Is it even okay to call her that considering I'm not a Manzano? Or is it better to address her as Ma'am or Mrs. Insert-last-name-here? "Water will do."

"Okay," She gestures her hand, asking me to take a seat. "Feel comfortable."

My eyes roam around and I realize that Stefan's house look more like a hotel than a house. There are many chandeliers, the flamboyant one hangs near the foot of the stairs. There's a grand piano by the corner, and a big shelf of books beside it. I know Stefan's rich, but I have know idea that he's this rich. Well, he told me last summer that his dad worked his ass off to be able to start a construction business. The business grew and grew, and now you know what happened next.

"So this is the girl you're talking about?" There, going down the stairs, is a woman with so much poise and beauty, I can't take my can off her. Stefan's walking behind her, and I could see the resemblance in their faces.

"Hi, hija!" I stand up when she is already in front of me, as a way of showing respect. She moves closer and plants a kiss on my cheek. "Welcome to our home."