Chapter Eight: Donuts Fix Broken Hearts

Late morning classes are my ultimate favorite because I get to put make-up, blow dry my hair, and have the time to choose the perfect outfit without mom nagging me to move faster. In short, I have the time of my life. I don't need to rush.

I am about to put on my lipstick when mom knocks on my bedroom door. It's unusual because 1) she knows my class is at around 9:00 A.M., and 2) I thought she already left to drive my brother to school.

"Jen, Stefan is downstairs waiting for you."

Huh?

"Who again, mom?" I heard her. I heard her clearly. I just want to make sure.

"Stefan..."

Oh. So what brings him here? I thought we're going to meet at the same spot—the breakfast joint near the bus station. Why didn't he tell me he's coming? He should have messaged or called me first.

"Okay, I'll be out in a minute."

I look at myself in the mirror and put on some lipstick. Dress, check. Make-up, check. Hair, check. Everything, check. Okay, not that I'm trying to impress Stefan Manzano.

When I get to the bottom of the stairs, Stefan, my "pretend boyfriend," is waiting. He's just wearing a white polo shirt plus blue jogger pants, but damn, he's smoking hot. If being his girlfriend didn't make a lot of sense to me before, well, it does now. Hello, I am dating—or to be exact, that's what we're trying to make others believe—the hottest guy in school! It's like I'm Cinderella and he's my Prince Charming. Maybe that's why I just can't forget what happened last summer, because at least that was real, even without others knowing, and not like now that we're faking, even with everyone knowing.

"Sorry for last time, Ma'am," He's talking to my mother, who's holding my little bro's lunchbox. "I was really in a rush. My mom texted me to go home, so I'm sorry if I was a bit rude."

"No, it's okay. Jen told us that you had to go, and we understood," She gives his arm a light squeeze. "And please, call me Liz, not ma'am."

Stefan lets out a heavenly laugh, and when his face turns to the stairway, he catches me awkwardly checking him out. Oops.

Before I even get to the living room, Stefan approaches me and gives me a peck on the cheek as a way of greeting. And yes, my mom and little brother are there to witness it. Jester chuckles and says "Oooooh" over and over again to make me even more embarrassed. Mom gives Jester "the stare" which has made him shut up. Thanks to Stefan's charm and good-boy looks, mom has accepted him pretty easily. Dad, on the other hand, is still being overprotective as always. Well, he has yet to meet Stefan.

"You ready?" He grabs my hand and squeezes it.

"I am," And yes, I really am.

And just like that, we're off to our own world. After hearing my mom talk to us about road safety and courtesy for what seemed like forever, Stefan opens his car door for me and holds my arm until I am properly seated on the passenger side. When he gets to the driver seat, he attaches his iPod to the speaker's connector and asks me what type of music I like to listen to apart from The Beatles, which is the only band I like. I say mainly Taylor Swift. He shakes his head at me. "I don't have T-Swizzle, but I have The Beatles."

Well, as expected.  That's one thing Brandon and Stefan have in common. They both love The Fab Four from Liverpool. I don't mind, though. I loved The Beatles, too, especially Ringgo.

He scans his iPod and plays Asked Me Why before giving me a wink that can kill and resurrect me at the same time. "Just like old times."

WHAT. WAS. THAT. WINK. FOR.