Chapter 4: Explaining

As soon as I buckle myself in the seat of my mom's car, I play "Light It Up" without my earbuds and sing along passionately. I've been practicing the rapping part and I've been getting pretty good at it. 

"You seem to be in a good mood, Mia," Mom remarks, glancing at me in the rear-view mirror. 

"I am, I made a friend today," I say gleefully. 

"Oh, that's great, sweetie! It's good to know you're getting close to someone after The Big Move," 

"The Big Move" she was referring to was when we moved from the U.S.A. to Norway three months ago. It hit me really hard and was one of the reasons why I nearly killed myself yesterday.

My whole family and I learned to speak Norwegian and we can speak it fluently but I prefer English 'cause it's my first language. 

We drove to my therapist, who asked me how my day was, how I was feeling and why. Then we went home and I did my homework and went on Instagram, Musical.ly, Snapchat, and all my other social media apps and liked everything that Marcus and Martinus had posted when my mom came into my room. 

"Hey, honey, I spoke with your therapist and I'm so happy that you've got yourself a great friend," 

"Heh, thanks, Mom," I say briefly drawing my eyes up from my phone to her face. 

"Martin sounds like a really great guy and your father and I would love to meet him," she goes on.

"Mm-hm," I'm still going through my social media. 

"Why don't you introduce us to him after school tomorrow?" 

I suddenly drop my phone into my lap even though it has a pop socket on the back. 

"What the-?! Mom, no way! I can't introduce him to you guys just yet! I want to get to know him better before I take our friendship even further," Plus, I don't want them to embarrass me horribly in front of Martin. They're too weird! 

"Oh, you mean like that Marcus and Martinus song?" my sister Bella says, poking her head into the room. "Just want to get to know ya, know ya, oh something, something, some-thing, some-thing, oh I just wanna get to, know ya!" she starts singing obnoxiously and messing up the lyrics and I can feel my whole upper body heat up. 

"Shut up, Bella! Get out of here, you don't deserve to sing such a sacred song! Only true MMers can do that!" She giggles annoyingly and keeps on squawking while skipping downstairs.

Mom clears her throat, "Alright, I understand that you want to spend more time with this boy, just...make sure you can trust him with secrets when you're ready to tell him." I nod. By "secrets" she means my suicide problems and one day I will get around to telling Martin. But for now, I just want to know more about him.

Martinus's POV

When I got home, I was greeted by Marcus and Emma. "Yay, Tinus, you're back!" Emma squeals, hugging me fiercely. 

"It's good to have you back, 'Martin.' I missed goofing off with you at home," Marcus adds, also embracing me. Gosh, he gives the best hugs! 

"You say that every day, Mac!" I remind him. "It's just school, I'll always come back," 

"I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it," he answers smiling but has a serious look in his eyes. "And I know you always come back. Homeschool just isn't the same without you,"