Day One

AUTHOR'S POV

Thomas finally turned the page and continued his reading.

"Hello again Tommy, welcome to my first day on the way to my death.

I don't know the future, I don't know if I will have the occasion to tell you or not how I got the Flare. So I am going to recap the day we just spend to let you understand.

My day started in a very early hour in the morning. Why you may ask? Well because they bloody took my best fiend and I want him back. And I know by the way you gave that speech the morning after they came that you would make a plan too. Because you are a bloody bastard who always put your life at risk to save the people you love!"

Thomas sadly chuckled reading that line.

"So anyway, I planned to go pack one of the Jeeps we have and wait for you there because I know you. I know that's the place you would come too. And that if I wouldn't wake up and wait for you, you would have left without anyone noticing because you wouldn't have wanted to bring anyone else with you because you didn't want any of us to get in trouble, just as I know how selfless you are. I decided to woke up Frypan next to me because he wanted to help to get Minho back. And one more person with us wouldn't hurt. We would have more chance to win against them when we will free Minho. And he was also going to help me pack up the Jeep because you know I am not very strong carrying and throwing some supplies bags into the Jeep."

A sad smile was form on Thomas' lips while a tear escaped his eyes.

"When I rolled to the other side of my hammock to see how you were doing, I noticed you were still asleep. So it was the perfect timing for Frypan and I to go prepare our stuff while you were still sleeping. So we stood up carefully, taking every precautions to not wake up anyone and we went to the Jeep, we packed and we patiently waited in the Jeep in the darkness for you. We would have turn on the lights, but it would have awoken everyone. So we waited in the dark. Until Frypan suggested that I wait for you outside the car, near a desk with a desk lamp. So when you would show up I would just have to say a silly line and turn on the lamp.

And about fifteen minutes later we finally heard some footsteps coming towards us. I saw you coming down those stairs. Even though Frypan and I couldn't see each other because of the darkness, we looked in each other's direction and I rolled my eyes smiling playfully at your actions. I just knew you would come. Then you argued with me because you didn't want me to come and get hurt. But you also knew that I wouldn't give up and come with you anyways. And I have. Now I know that's what sent me to my grave but it was worth it Tommy. The thought of you leaving me behind and missing another one of your victorious journeys was more worth it than me. We are fighting for the freedom of everyone. No matter what's the cost. Even if that means loosing my own life.

I remembered how I enjoyed that car ride to that tunnel. You was making jokes and telling us good memories of the glade. I laughed a lot during that ride. You always found the way to cheer me up when I wasn't feeling like it. But then, reality came back when we arrived to that tunnel and we stopped. To be honest, when we decided to go through that tunnel, I was scared. But I wasn't scare about me. I was scared about you and Frypan. That some cranks might grab you and hurt you. And when our Jeep crashed, that's when that fear came true. My head was pounding from the accident and I had a really bad headache. I remember you screaming my name. That gave me the strength to try to break the window of the passenger seat and then you grabbed me and pulled me out as fast as you could. I felt safe. Then Frypan succeeded to get out too and we started running away from the cranks who were coming to us.

But no one was coming and the end of the tunnel was still a long way to go. And my limp was hurting like bloody hell. I knew I wasn't going to last long. But at least I was glad because I would have died with you. You were just in front of me, running slower just so you could be with me. Why did you do that? Why did you risked your life for someone like me?"