Ch. 9 ~Festival~

You had agreed to meet Yamaguchi in the afternoon, as that seemed like the best time to go to the festival. And boy were you right. Sweet-smelling smoke mixed right in with the smells of cooking meat, rice, and all the spices they were mixed with.

   The sky was perfectly clear in all directions, as far as you could see. For a while, you had been worrying about it raining, as the weather had been unusually wet leading up to today. But it seemed the rain finally let up, almost as if it was just for the two of you.

   The streets were lined with booths selling souvenirs, little game booths, and plenty of food stalls with all the different kinds of festival snacks you could imagine, from takoyaki, to cotton candy. The streets were also full of people. Not so much that you felt suffocated by their number, but enough that you felt it was possible to lose your companion in the crowd. You grabbed Yamaguchi's hand to get his attention, and so as not to lose him, and pointed towards one of the food stalls.

   "That looks so good! Can we go there?"

   "Of course! You're right, it does look good!"

   You got your food quickly enough. The salesperson handed it to you and you took it gratefully, stepping to the side to eat it. Yamaguchi came not too long after, holding his own. It was funny, watching him eat. You had seen it before, but it never failed to make you smile. There was just something about the way he would look up at you after he took a bite and smile that made your insides do little flips.

   "Oh, you've got some on your cheek." He reached out a hand and cupped your cheek in it, brushing it off with his thumb. He realized what he was doing and took his hand off as if your face were a hot fire. You laughed and he blushed, trying to hide his face by taking another bite.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

   "They're getting food, over."

   Kure stood, watching the couple from afar, and trying her hardest to be discreet. It wasn't really working, but luckily, they were far enough away that they couldn't see her.

   "I'm literally two feet away from you, you don't need to talk like that."

   Atlas stood behind her, significantly less conspicuous, but that was mostly due to the fact that she wasn't trying to sneak around like some cartoon criminal.

   "Get with the spirit of it, Earth 1, over."

   "Is that my nickname? And were the yakutas really necessary, Kure?"

   "Yes, yes, and I'm not Kure, right now it's
Sun 2."

   Atlas just sighed, and Kure gasped.

   "Look! Look! They're doing something cute!"

   "Hey, shush, or they're going to hear you!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

   You explored more of the festival eagerly after that. Yamaguchi had agreed to hold your hand so you wouldn't get lost, and you hadn't regretted it at all. You weren't quite sure what exactly you wanted to do next (there were so many things to do after all), until Yamaguchi pointed out a ring toss game.

   "Oh! (Y/n) look! I used to love this game when I was little!" His face lit up and it was now certain. You were definitely going to play this game.

   You weren't too bad at the game, but Yamaguchi was definitely much better than you. Not that that stopped you from getting a little bit competitive, of course. He managed to land all but one of his rings, while you only got around half. When all was said and done, it turned out that Yamaguchi had won a prize.