𝐢𝐯. 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐩𝐚𝐢𝐧

HOW TO SAVE A LIFE 11x21

When Meredith went home that night she made dinner, fed her kids and herself, and put her kids to bed. After that she sat on the couch, in the house Derek had built for her. She stared at the house phone until the clock turned to 5:00. 5:00 was the time to freak out.

As soon as it turned five o'clock she got up and put the phone in her hands, just in time for the police cars to arrive.

She watched as the blue and red lights flash on the police cars, she heard the police car doors shut as the policemen get out of the cars. She watches as they go up to her door and knock.

🌹

Derek had decided to take a different route to the airport since the highway was packed with traffic.

"Your never gonna make your flight." Amelia says through the phone.

"I'll make it." He says, focused on the road.

"No, you won't. You're gonna miss your flight." Miranda speaks.

"Who's that? Bailey? I'm not gonna miss my flight." He looks down at his phone.

"There was a huge accident on the five. All the lanes are closed. The traffic is insane." April says, focused on her patient.

"Now, why does Kepner make that sound like a good thing?"

"We have a guy from the accident on our table." Amelia informs her brother. "Bailey and Kepner are sewing up all the holes in his gut."

"I am repairing the in-repairable. I am out-of-control amazing." April says smiling like crazy.

"No, I am out-of-control amazing. You are a guest in my guts. Hush." Bailey points her utensils at April.

Everyone chuckles, "The point is you might as well turn around now 'cause you'll miss your flight." Amelia says, paying attention to her patients brain.

"I'm not gonna miss my flight. I have a secret shortcut." Derek reveals.

"There are no shortcuts to the airport." Amelia and Bailey say at the same time.

"That you know about." He says, gripping the steering wheel.

"Come on. I'm doing a spondylolisthesis today. I'm saying if you head back now, I might let you—"

"I'm gonna lose you here in a second. Cellphone receptions bad." He cuts her off.

"Derek, are you still there? I can't hear you."

"No, I said I'm gonna lose the cellphone reception. It's bad here." All he hears is static. "Amy?"

"Derek? Derek?" She asks, cutting out.

"Amy, are you there?" Derek asks, the same thing happening to him.

The phone beeps, signaling the call ending. "Lost him."

Derek hears tires screeching from behind him. The car goes in front of Derek, "I'm doing ten miles over the speed limit. That's not fast enough for you? Gee."

Derek doesn't pay attention to what's happening in front of him while both cars in front of him collide. The silver van flipping in the air. And the black convertible sliding and flipping over near the grass. Derek stops as fast as he can, and breath's heavily.

He looks at the scene in front of him. The van on the road on its side. Then the convertible in the grass flipped over.

"Where's my ph— phone?" He asks himself, moving around trying to find his phone. He unbuckles and goes to help the people in the van. "Hey. Ma'am. Ma'am." Derek says through the broken windshield. The woman coughs, "My names Derek. Are you okay?"