18. Europa 2

{rated m, sci-fi/fantasy au, royalty}

You're so supersonic, wanna feel your powers,
stun me with your lasers.
Your kiss is cosmic,
Every move is magic.
⤝❁⤞

The time for the inevitable had finally come. After centuries of skirting around the topic of marriage and living in her own bubble under a sea of water and ice, Chaeyoung could no longer avoid it.

Ever since the humans attempted to invade her moon, there had been increasing pressure, not only from the surrounding galaxies, but also her fellow Europians, to strengthen their defenses. The best way to do so was apparently an alliance. One that would produce another heir to the throne so that if anything were to happen to Chaeyoung, their world would still have a source of magic for sustenance.

She knew it was the right thing to do. A duty and a responsibility she had to fulfill as the Queen of Europa and the protector of their moon. It was a long-lasting tradition amongst the galaxies to invite the most eligible bachelors and give them a ridiculously complex quest to complete to prove their worthiness. It was both an opportunity for each planet to showcase their strengths and a method of securing political relations. Not to mention an excuse to feast, socialize, and party for several days on end.

Chaeyoung knew about this tradition since she was a little girl. And she may have even found the whole thing highly entertaining if she were a single, unattached woman. But her heart had already been claimed long ago by a man who was beyond perfect. And it physically pained her to put him through this whole trial. As if he hadn't already proven himself time and time again throughout the centuries he had commanded her army.

Now, as she stood amongst a garden of flowers in an outrageously fancy dress and her most expensive diamond crown while Hoseok snapped a hundred pictures of her, she felt a wave of sadness wash over her. These pictures were going to be sent as invitation cards to all the surrounding planets and moons, and she had no choice but to stand there and pose for them like some pretty trophy.

"Okay, your majesty, now I need you to actually smile," Hoseok directed her, with a radiant smile of his own. "Take that frown and turn it upside down. Pretend it's just another peaceful day and you're frolicking in your sunny garden while the birds are chirping, and the spring breeze is blowing."

Chaeyoung released a long sigh before forcing her lips to tilt upwards, showcasing two rows of crystal-white teeth. But her heart obviously wasn't in it and she knew the smile was not reaching her eyes in the slightest.

"Is this okay?" she put her hands on her hips and asked through clenched teeth.

"Uh, yeah, these are... adequate," Hoseok said, clicking through the pictures and trying very hard to control his expression of dismay. "You definitely look like a... queen."

"Yeah, a sociopathic one."

Chaeyoung turned to the source of the voice. She wasn't surprised to see Jungkook stroll into their private photoshoot as if he owned the place.

He was wearing casual clothing for once, instead of his usual heavy armors. The pale blue material of his tunic was thin enough that the outline of his toned bronze skin was just barely visible underneath. Judging by his loose, windswept wavy hair and tight black riding pants, he had travelled to them on horseback.

Chaeyoung couldn't help but smile as he began walking towards them. "Maybe if I look sociopathic then no one will enter the competition and you'll win by default."

"If that's the smile you're going to be flashing me for all of eternity, hell I might not even enter the competition."

Chaeyoung burst into laughter at his joke, and Hoseok took that opportunity to snap the golden shot.