3. Home?

After a few hours of an awkwardly silent ride Arthur and Rex finally reach the trail that leads them to Arthur's camp.
They ride further into the forest until they hear a voice. "Who's there?!"
"It's me, Lenny."
"Oh! Hi, Arthur! Dutch's been waitin' for ya."

Arthur waves and continues to ride deeper into the forest and past other men with either riffles or shotguns.

Soon they arrive at a campsite full of people.
"Arthur! Welcome back!" A man with black hair dressed in a black suit approaches the old man. "Dutch, how're things?"
"Good but I'm more interested in your friend."
Rex jumps down from her horse to greet the man called Dutch.
"Name's Rex", She says as confidently as possible.
"Nice meetin' ya but why are you here?"
Arthur pats Dutch's shoulder.
"Calm down, I asked her to stay with us."
"I told you we can't let random people stay at our camp. No offense."
Rex holds up her hands innocently.

"I can see when I'm not wanted. I should go."
Rex jumps back into her saddle before Arthur can stop her.

Annoyed Arthur turns to Dutch.
"What?"
"Do you know who that was? That was Rex, one of the biggest bounty hunters out there."
Dutch shrugs. "So?"
"If we don't win her trust she might show up here one day and kill all of us."
Dutch lets out a groan as he pinches the bridge of his nose in annoyance.
"Fine, go get her. Under one condition. She needs to participate in our work."

~

Rex pushes her hair out of her face as she looks into the sky.
Why did she even think of going to a camp of random strangers.
"A stupid idea for a stupid gal."

Before she rides off she hears shouts coming from the forest she just exited.
It's Arthur.
"Rex!"
He rides up to her. "You can stay."
"Really?"
"Yea, talked to Dutch. You need to help out in the camp otherwise you can't stay." Rex shrugs. "Fine."
Then they both ride back to the camp to greet Dutch once again.

"Welcome, my dear", He says with open arms. "Since we're a community I need you to give us your real name."
Rex raises an eyebrow and looks at Arthur for reassurance. He just nods.
"Fine." She crosses her hands in front of her chest. "It's Irene." Dutch tilts his head. "And?"
"Smith."

He smiles at her pleasantly. "Well, Irene Smith. Welcome to our camp! Arthur, show her around, will ya."
Then Dutch walks off to chat with other camp members.

"So... Irene, huh", Arthur suddenly says. "What about it."
"Nothin', is a pretty name."
Irene, formerly known to Arthur as Rex, avoids to look at Arthur. Her cheeks are slightly blushing.
"I'll show you a place where you can sleep."
Arthur then pats her on the back and starts to walk through the camp.

"This is our cook, don't pester him."
He continues. "That's Dutch's tent and right on this barrel is our little charity box." Irene chuckles.
"Charity?"
Arthur nods. "Whenever we have some spare change we put it in here. Helps out the camp."

Irene takes another look around and spots a tent.
"Is that yours?"
Arthur looks in the direction she's pointing. "Ah yes. Now that we're here, you can set up your tent right here."
He points at the empty space next to his tent.
"Sorry to disappoint ya but I don't have a tent."
"We'll buy one then."
She chuckles at Arthur's enthusiasm.
"You're so hooked on having me here. Why?"

Arthur stops in his movement and looks down at Irene.
He never thought about why he asked her to come. It was a bold request but a welcome one he did not think through.
Not until now.

"I'll be honest... I'm not sure."

A bit disappointed with his response Irene looks over at the empty space next to Arthur's tent.

She doesn't want to stay if his reason was pity.
That was the last thing she wanted. Pity.
She hated everything about it. Whenever someone did something out of pity she felt bad and inferior.

"We have a spare tent."

Arthur's words rip Irene out of her train of thought. "Oh... thanks."
"I can help you set it up if-"
"I got it."

Irene takes the tent out of Arthur's hands and sets it up herself.
After struggling a bit she finally got the hang of it and finished it.
It's not much but more she ever had.

She's somewhat thankful.
A feeling she hasn't experienced in a while.