7. Outcast

"What", Arthur shouts in disbelief.
"We could've been killed because of you. I want you out of this camp. NOW!"

Irene looks at Dutch. His face is filled with anger while hers is emotionless. "Dutch-"
"Let it be, Arthur."
Irene slowly gets onto her feet, rejecting the help from her friend next to her. "If Dutch wants me to leave then so I shall."
Irene looks around and grabs her things. The things the camp didn't provide for her. She throws it all in a bag and rolls her mattress together.
"I wish you all the best."

Without any further discussion she walks past Dutch and to her horse.

"Well done, Dutch", Arthur sneers angrily. "It's for the best, Arthur."
Arthur scoffs. "For the best? What has she ever done to you? All she ever did was help the camp!"

Arthur leaves the conversation to run after Irene who is binding all her luggage onto her horse. "Irene, please don't leave", Arthur says.
"It's okay, Arthur. I don't want any trouble."
"This is not trouble. This is madness."
Irene chuckles as she lifts herself up onto her horse. "I'm gonna miss you, Arthur."
The said man's eyes widen. "You're ridin' off just like that?"
"What choice do I have, Arthur."
Arthur knows she is right somehow.

If Dutch won't let her stay she will go but he doesn't want to leave the gang to go with her.

"I know what you're thinking", She suddenly says. "They need you more than I do."
Then she bows down to Arthur to give him a kiss on his forehead.
He's at a loss for words.

"Bye, Arthur. May life treat you well. Even Dutch."

Then she vanishes into the horizon... as if she was never there.
Angered Arthur stomps back to his tent.
Now that Irene is gone he feels like he can't talk to anyone except his diary.

His pulls out the book and opens it.

She left without a discussion, without fighting. I don't know if I should be angry, sad or happy. It's a strange feeling. A mix of emotions. The last time I felt this way was when I saw the gravestones outside her house.

His handwriting is shaky and not as clean as it usually is.

I want her back but I respect her decision...
Maybe Abigail was right after all.

~

As Irene leaves the woods that shield the camp behind she looks back one more time.
She doesn't feel anything. Her emotions were all over the place but now they're gone.

She rubs her eyes before taking out a piece of paper and something to write with.

Dear Arthur,

If you ever find this... I'm sorry.
I don't know why I didn't choose to fight but I think it's better this way.
We can go our own ways now. The camp has one less mouth to feed and worry about.
I thank you for giving me a home and a family to go back to but for now I think it's best we never meet again. My feelings are all over the place and I need to figure myself out before I can ever face you again. I'm sure you need time to think as well.
I wish you all the best.

Yours,
Irene.

She hammers her neatly folded letter against one of the trees and takes a deep breath.
Out on her own again. It's been a while.
"Let's go, shall we?"
She pats her horses neck and rides off into the sunset.

Wherever she may go, the memories will follow. He will be there and maybe... just maybe they will meet again, doesn't matter if it's a coincidence.

"Until we meet again, Arthur."