E I G H T

The following day came quicker to Ashley's dismay. Her smaller figure walked alongside Ironhide's full form through the base, opting out of sitting upon his shoulder. She grew aware of the number of stares from fellow soldiers, they were an unusual pair. Foreign even. It was quite odd for a pair like them to take a liking towards one another. She wouldn't dare deny it what she felt towards the Weapons Specialist. 

Sensing the girl grow uncomfortable, he looked down to her, "What is it?"

"It's nothing Hide," She shook her head, not wanting to speak on the situation in her head. All it was, was just overthinking. Overthinking was a habit she had to break. 

Ironhide nodded, not wanting to press Ashley any further. She would speak when she was comfortable and ready too. The two split off from each other, she went to find her father in his office. 

"Good morning sunshine," Epps greeted, a bright smile shone in the girls direction. 

"Good morning both of you," Letting out a soft chuckle, leaning against the wall.

"Where'd you get off to early this morning?" Lennox questioned his daughter, though the men knew where she had been. Ironhide was also missing this morning, not just the girl. 

Ashley's face flushed red, "I went out for breakfast this morning."

"Before 5:30?" A cheeky smirk fell upon her father's face. It was surely an odd coupling, but he trusted Ironhide with his daughter, she was in safe hands. With any bot actually, besides the twins. 

"I couldn't sleep!" Rolling her eyes, she wiped a hand down her face as the two men chuckled at her embarrassment. 

Saving Ashley from further questioning from the men, the phone in her pocket rang loudly. Excusing herself quietly from Lennox's office, Ashley furrowed her brow seeing the call was from Mikaela. Mikaela usually only texted the Lennox girl, but never a call. 

"Hello?" Ashley spoke after answering the call.

"Ashley, it's Mikaela. Something's wrong with Sam, can you meet me at the campus? Asap?" Mikaela's voice was full of haste, filling the girl full of nerves.

"Yeah, absolutely. What's wrong?" Ashley quickly made her way to her car that sat on the lot outside the building. Her little car always sat at the base since Ironhide always brought her wherever she needed to go.

"I can't talk about it here. Just meet me there!" She rushed out, immediately ending the phone call. 

Ashley drove off quickly, never once giving any explanation to anyone left at the base. Not her father. Not Epps. Not even Ironhide. Something was amiss. There was extreme urgency in Mikaela's voice. Ashley's phone rang several times, receiving her father's calls, but they went ignored. Whatever was happening, she would deal with her father later. She had to make sure Sam was okay. 

Ashley arrived a few short hours later, parking her car. Mikaela met her there from her flight, a steel box in her hands. "What is that?" Ashley fixed her gaze on the box.

"I'll explain later. But we can't lose this box," Mikaela rushed towards the dorms, with the blonde in tow. Ashley would be lying if she said she wasn't beyond worried about that box. 

"Mikaela, what the hell is going on?" Ashley grew anxious. 

"It's Sam, before he left for college, that day he found a sliver from the cube in a tattered sweatshirt. Ever sense he touched it, he's been acting weird," Ashley froze in her tracks behind the brunette, causing Mikaela to turn sharping towards her. "I think he's in danger Ash."

Ashley knew her first instinct was to call NEST to warn them, but she couldn't. But whatever was going on, the Decepticons would soon follow. Ashley looked around briskly, a few stragglers leaving the two alone. "What's in the box?" Ashley's eyes fell on the box once more as she pressed her friend harshly.