VII

✩❖♦♦❖✩
seven

10 years ago on the Ark..

Genesis smiled a the wooden toy horse in front of her, she made it gallop around, making horse noises. She got up from the table and chair in front of her and began to ran around the small apartment, laughing as she ran with her horse, pretending she was one herself, running alongside her friend, wind in her hair.

Until she came crashing back down to reality of where she was, she wasn't running through tall grass with the wind in her hair, she had never experienced the fresh crisp air blowing against her skin. It was a kids dream in this place. Instead she was confined to grey walls around her.

"Genesis, what the hell are you doing?" Her mother, Maggie, emerged from her room, her hair dishevelled, it was clear she had only just woken up.

"I'm pretending to run like a horse alongside my toy." The young Genesis beamed towards her mother. Even though Maggie Sorenson had corrupted the young girl, it never stopped her from having the imagination she deserved to have.

"Don't be so stupid, you know that will never happen, silly child." Maggie shook her head as she walked to the small kitchen, beginning to look through the cupboards. "Genesis, where is all the food? I thought I told you to get some ration chips yesterday so we could actually eat."

"I tried, mommy. But there was guards everywhere, I-I didn't want to get caught." Genesis looked down to her feet which were covered with small, shiny, red shoes.

"So you would rather us starve? You selfish child." Maggie rose her voice as she approached the young girl of only seven.

"No, I would never want that, mommy. I was just scared." Genesis began to tear up at the rising in her mothers voice, she was scared at what was going to happen, again.

"You were scared? And to think I thought I brought you up better than that." Maggie shook her head.

Genesis knew that her mom had a temperament, ever since her dad died she had treated as though she was dirt on the bottom of her shoe. She never truly saw or remembered the happy side to her mom, and she yearned for it.

"Please forgive me, I'm sorry. I'll do better next time." Genesis pleaded towards her mom and she walked closer to her.

Maggie raised her hand and Genesis closed her eyes tight as she braced for contact, and when it came, she fell to floor and silently cried, her mother shook her head and scoffed as she walked back into her room, slamming the door behind her.

✩❖♦♦❖✩

Genesis anxiously jolted awake, her eyes opening wide, she had fell asleep next to Jasper, she hadn't moved from his side ever since she had ate. She was scared to leave him alone in case anything happened to him, but that had resulted in her falling asleep.

She was shocked with the nightmare she had, it was the first one she had in a long time, they all started because of her mother, the abuse, the hatred, it had all started coming back to her. Being on Earth and being in danger made her think that this is why they had been triggered again.

She couldn't count on two hands the amount of sleepless nights she had because of that woman, the woman who was meant to be there for her, the woman that brought her into this world. Oh, well, she knew no one was perfect.