Chapter 7: Joy

A/N: Oh man it's been over five months, I'm so sorry. Art class is hard and that's the only excuse I have. I hope the chapter is worth the wait.

Lots of persona references here and a certain other reference that someone here might notice ;)

(PS - Texting dialogue intentionally has incorrect grammar)

-----

Byleth finally made it back to the house sometime around quarter to five but she was a bit paranoid due to her phone running out of charge...

She didn't want Annette to think that she gave her a wrong number...

She used the house key which is difficult to use and unlocked the door.

Then when she unlocked the door, it creaked open and she went inside.

She saw her father sitting on the couch, holding a cup with what looked like beer and they were eating...pizza.

He wasn't alone either, Alois was with him too.

"Hey kid. Welcome home." Jeralt waved.

"Hi dad." Byleth dumped her school bag on the nearest chair.

"How was school today? Did you make any friends?" Alois asked joyfully in contrast to Jeralt's casual tone.

"I..think so." Byleth nodded.

Jeralt seemed a bit more alerted but in a rather positive type of way. "You made a friend?"

"Well I..I don't know. She has my number." Byleth scratched her head

"That's a great kid. I'm happy for you." Jeralt smiled.

This made Byleth feel a bit happy herself because Jeralt didn't smile that much in general and he was smiling because he was happy for her.

"Thanks dad. Uh..I- Well I- I need a phone charger! I'd like to text her." Byleth nodded.

"There's one over there." Jeralt pointed to the corner of the room.

Byleth's eyes shifted to that and she immediately ran to the phone charger.

She plugged it in and waited for it to turn back on.

Alois offered Byleth a slice of pizza but she shook her head.

"Hey kid, did you end up getting homework done?" Jeralt asked.

Byleth looked a bit pale. "Errr... Well no. I haven't. They made us leave the school grounds earlier than they would normally."

Jeralt sighed at that response. "Well Kid, you gotta get it done soon. Don't procrastinate too much."

"Ok. I'll do it tomorrow." Byleth nodded.

"Please do."

Byleth realised that her phone turned back on and she saw that there were indeed unread text notifications that lagged a bit to turn up.

"Can I take the charger up the stairs, to my room?" Byleth asked.

"Feel free."

"Thanks."

Byleth unplugged the charger, carried it and her phone when walking upstairs.

When she got inside her room, she plugged it in a powerpoint that was frustratingly far from her bed but she then plugged her phone that was around 3%.

After she plugged it, she looked at the text notifications from an unknown number.

She unlocked her phone and read the texts she received.