Chapter 3: First Day

April 7th...

The day finally arrived...

It was time for Byleth to go to her first day of school.

The previous days were her trying to help the mover guys set where the furniture should be placed and Jeralt showing her how to use the bus and train to travel to her school.

Byleth did know how to take the train and bus already somewhat but this was still a new place and was much bigger than Remire ever was so Jeralt showed her how to get to the school using both the bus and train to help her in advance.

The bus took less time but it required for her to wake up a bit earlier if she wanted to catch it. She also had to catch two trains to get to the school and then take a ten minute walk to get to the school grounds if she didn't take the bus.

She didn't mind walking that much, she liked the area that the Officer's Academy was in. She just didn't really like trains.

There was also the school bus but that would require her to wake up around 4 am to catch it which wasn't worth it.

Unfortunately though, she only just barely missed the bus.

Byleth sighed to herself as she realised that this was going to be a very common problem.

So she ended up taking the train which was something she disliked doing a lot.

A couple of minutes later, she found herself in the second train and sat down. She kept staring at her own uniform since she hasn't quite gotten used to it yet.

There wasn't anything particularly wrong with it but she doesn't normally wear clothes like this.

Then when the train reached a few more stops, two girls wearing the same uniform as her, walked inside and were standing. One of the girls had bright yellow hair with a headband over her head while the other one had short brown hair who were chatting away about some people that Byleth didn't know.

Byleth stared at them for a second but then looked back down to her feet...

However the girls gossip was really loud and Byleth unintentionally found herself eavesdropping on their conversation.

"So... anyone else you're looking forward to seeing at school today?" The girl with short brown hair asked her friend next to her.

"Dimitri..." The blonde haired girl swooned.

The short brown haired girl rolled her eyes at her friend's statement but didn't seem surprised. "Oh give me a break Mayumi..."

"I can't help it... Ughh... " The blonde girl referred to as Mayumi spoke back.

"You know you could just join the chess club and maybe that way, you'll get to know him."

The words "chess club" made Byleth even more curious.

There was a chess club at the school...

Byleth loved chess and she wouldn't mind joining a club like that.

"Eh... I don't like chess though, it's pointless and boring. Also Felix is there and I heard that he always randomly asks to play chess..." Mayumi said as her frown kept deepening.

"But that club doesn't really take itself seriously, doesn't it? They don't have competitions with other schools and I hear it's pretty laid back."

Byleth was even more interested. She made a mental note to remind herself to look into it.

Mayumi crossed her arms. "Perhaps but that's more of a reason to not join, there would barely be any point to going to the activities... I like being in my current club right now."