Chapter 5: Surprise

It was the second day of school while also being the last day of school for the week but even then Byleth was still unable to get used to everything.

In the morning, Byleth was walking to the gates of the school, with her headphones over her head so no one will pester her about joining their school club.

Though it was hard to hear the music due to the chatter around her.

Then suddenly the chatter quietened down, as if it was getting further away from her ears.

She didn't understand how that was the case but she felt relieved that she could finally listen to her music more easily.

"Reach for my hand~"

"I'll Soar Away~"

"Into the Da-"

"GAHHHHHH! I CRASHED AGAIN"

Byleth was startled from the interruption of her listening and she looked around to see where the interruption came from.

Then she saw a bike on the ground, surprisingly not broken.

She could already tell what it was from now...

"OWWWWWWWWWW! NOT AGAIN!!! WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN?!?!"

The girl, the orange haired girl from the first day was the one who caused the crash of her bike which caused her to faceplant to the ground.

She was struggling to get up and yet no one around her bothered to help. They would just glance for a few seconds. Some would even snicker.

It seemed like they were used to her doing this or something of the sort.

Byleth stared at the orange haired girl who was whining about the pain she was probably feeling.

"Grrr why can't I- Stupid stupid stupid!" The orange haired girl groaned in annoyance.

Byleth stared at her and then sighed.

"Maybe I should help her out..." Byleth thought to herself and so she walked towards the orange haired girl.

Without warning she held her hand out for the orange haired girl's hand and she grabbed it without looking up at Byleth. Byleth helped her up.

The orange haired girl sighed in relief while she was standing but didn't look up to see who helped her. "Thanks Mercie... Why do I-"

She turned her head and cut herself off when she realised it wasn't Mercedes who helped her out.

She then quickly blushed. "Wait you're not- Ahh! I'm so sorry! I'm such a klutz"

"It's ok. I guess I should've given warning about me helping you." Byleth reassured her.

The orange haired girl sighed and then threw Byleth a smile. "Well regardless, you helped out back there. Thank you so much!"

"No worries." Byleth said and she continued to walk towards the gates.

The orange haired girl tried to pick up her bike and roll it to the school gates. When she did, she walked not far behind Byleth.

Her eyes then widened when she realised something about Byleth and so she ran up next to her. "Hold on, you don't look familiar. Oh! Are you that transfer student everyone's been talking about?!"

Byleth nodded and continued walking with the orange haired girl. "Well...I mean I am a transfer student but...people have been talking about me?"

She nodded her head and clenched her fists in excitement. "Uh huh! People won't stop talking about you! There are rumours spreading about you and Edelgard. You're the talk of the school! They believe that you're Edelgard's cousin, her secretary, second assistant or something."