Chapter 17 - Don't be sure

We get into bed. As we turn off the lights and slip under the blanket, a welcoming silence fills the room. The only thing one can hear is the cars on the streets below us, behind the window and those thick curtains.
I smile in the dark and slide over to his side of the bed. I feel his body causing the mattress to dip and snuggle up to his chest. Loki chuckles and wraps his arms around me.
"I am happy to have you", I say. "I am happy that you are here and that in all the times you faked your death, you didn't die. I ... it's so great that you are alive, and in this world, and with me."
Loki says nothing for a few long seconds. "Thank you", he whispers. His voice is slightly hoarse.
"What will we do after you have your powers back?", I ask quietly. I find it hard to answer that question myself, and I am almost afraid of his answer. What if he leaves me?
"It's nice that you are already thinking of that", he answers, his voice slowly becoming normal again. "But we have to fight for that. The Avengers aren't easy to fight, even if I act like they are."
A smirk tugs on my lips. "I love when you act. In the situation itself it's useful, and in the aftermath it's either cute or hot."
Loki pauses. "I can be cute?"
I giggle sheepishly. "Of course, you donkey."
"Did you just call the god of mischief a donkey?"
"Yes."
Another pause where I just hear his heartbeat in the dark. "Hm. If I had my powers, I would transform into a donkey right now. That would teach you not to insult me."
"Oh then I am glad you don't have them at the moment. I don't want to cuddle with a donkey!"
I can feel his smirk. "But according to you, you already are."
In response I squeeze his side.
He jerks and grabs my hands. "You don't want a tickle fight right now, do you?"
I pause and think. But I am too tired and rather want to cuddle than trash around and scream. "No, you are right", I sigh and snuggle up again.
Loki snickers. "That's what I thought."
Silence fills the room again. My thoughts wander back to our previous conversation.
"So ... what are we going to do when we have the infinity stone of emphasis?"
"Bring it somewhere. Secure it. Try to use its power. But we have to concentrate on the battle tomorrow, (y/n). We can't just be certain that we win. Don't be sure. Don't ever be sure."
I bury my face in his chest. "I don't want to lose you", I whisper.
Loki strokes my back. "You won't", he says warmly.