Chapter 18: Master Plans

AHHH, almost 1K reads!! Thank you so much for those who have continued to read so far!! I ended up changing the restaurant name btw, so hope u guys don't mind that :)

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

I raised an eyebrow in interest. "And what idea would that be?" I asked.

"The Asian Student Union Club I'm a part of is hosting a potluck event where everyone will be bringing foods from different ethnicities. I know you said no to joining when I asked you, but think about it. You could bring phở from your parents' restaurant and promote it at the same time!!" explained Zoey with a triumphant gleam in her eyes.

Rubbing my chin in thought, I gave it careful consideration. That idea could work. All the students would have the chance to try the phở and maybe it would encourage them to come to the restaurant!

"Wait, that's a great idea Zoey!!," I smiled at her, feeling thankful that I had the chance to befriend someone like her. She made a great point, suggesting this opportunity and there's just no way I could waste it.

She smirked at me knowingly, "Don't underestimate me. I'm a genius. People should be running to your restaurant in no time."

She extended her arm, offering a hand to me. "So are you going to finally join us or what?"

I gave a small chuckle, remembering not too long ago that I rejected Zoey's club offer right away. Who knew the future would eventually lead to this? I took her hand and shook it in agreement.

The deal was sealed.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

After Zoey left to go back to school, muttering her complaints the whole time she packed up to leave, my dad drove me to Backyard Phở. He didn't say much on the drive there, but his constant glances at me indicated his reluctance to let me work at the restaurant. I could tell he didn't like the idea, but what use would I be if I just stayed home all day?

I would be a burden, I thought glumly.

I stared out of the window so I wouldn't have to face my dad's concerned glances. The trees and buildings were a blur outside as I leaned my forehead against the cool glass. My reflection showed a tired-looking girl with dark wispy hair that framed her round cheeks. I blinked. She blinked back at me.

The car came to rumbling stop as my dad reached the parking lot of the restaurant. I didn't notice this before or maybe if I did, I didn't pay enough attention, but the restaurant was almost hidden in how it was located in the furthest corner of the business area. The restaurant name, Backyard Phở used to be in bright, bold colors, but it hadn't been refurbished in so long that the colors faded into a dusty, mute gray. It would be easy to miss if you didn't pay attention. I frowned a little, realizing that this did nothing to help the situation it was facing right now.

No wonder why people didn't know about this place. It was hidden away like it was some kind of secret villain hideout. It'd be great if my family owned some undercover business, but no, we owned a phở restaurant. Publicity was kind of necessary here.

The bell hanging above the door rang as my dad and I entered the restaurant. The sweet, familiar smell of phở hit my senses immediately. There were already a couple families eating inside quietly.

"Ah, there you are-" my mom said as she suddenly emerged from the swinging doors of the kitchen. I could tell those words were aimed at my dad by the way her words cut off when she saw me. Her eyebrows lifted in slight surprise as if she didn't expect me to be there.

I was confused by her disappointed look since she permitted me to work here just a day ago? I ignored the way her eyes drilled into my back as I walked into the employee break room to put on my apron. On their own instinct, I felt my eyes drift towards the kitchen looking for a rather specific dark-haired chef.

Snapping out of it, I left the break room to start waiting tables. I felt my mom's warm hand suddenly grasp my arm on the way out. I looked up into her concerned eyes as she said, "Liên, you sure you feel okay to work?"

I shook her hand off my arm, feeling frustrated. "I'm fine," I said curtly. I didn't understand why everyone kept treating me like I was fragile or something. I wanted to show them how capable I was on my own.

A ring! sound came from the entrance of the restaurant, indicating the arrival of a new customer. I hurried over right away to lead them to an open table, placing down a menu.

"Xin chào (hello)," I greeted. Today I decided to put my studying to use as I attempted to speak Vietnamese. My heart was racing so fast, I could barely breathe. Okay Allison, don't mess this up and you should be fine. Just pretend you know what you're doing.

The customer was an elderly man who looked to be about in his 50s. I licked my dry lips as I anxiously tried to remember what I studied.

"Um, bạn muốn.." I struggled to say, hesitating a little to gather my thoughts, "...gọi món gì (what would you like to order?)." I cringed at how broken it sounded, but at least I knew how to say something.

Much to my relief, he didn't comment on my broken speech as he ordered himself a bowl of phở. I let out a small breath that I didn't realize I was holding as I took back his menu and walked back to the kitchen. Damn, all that studying really paid off!

I peeked over the kitchen counter, my eyes scanning for any sign of Luca. I felt myself involuntarily smile as I noticed his familiar figure hunched over the metal countertop, chopping away at some vegetables. His brows were furrowed in deep concentration as he paused to wipe away his sweat with the back of his hand.

I tried to hold back a laugh at his concentrated face. Even with his look of focus, he still looked grouchy and intimidating. I doubt he even noticed the silent scurry other kitchen workers did when they needed to pass by him. I tried not to stare too long at him as I waited for him to finish making orders.

He finally turned around, placing steaming bowls of phở on the counter gently. Surprise flickered in his eyes for a brief moment when he looked up at me, but his face shifted back to its usual passive look. I took the tray of phở, waiting a few seconds as I did so in case he wanted to say something to me.

I mean, what would he say anyways? It's not like anything changed between us, but why did I feel slightly disappointed when he turned away and continued working?

I was busy for the next few hours, waiting tables and cleaning them. I was slowly starting to get used to the work more and more as I barely even noticed it was close to the closing time until it was completely dark outside.

I wondered what would be the appropriate time to show Luca my designs for the flyers. I had no idea what he would think of them. It was the only thing I thought about for the next few minutes as I anxiously mopped the floor. I was too lost in my thoughts to even hum some tunes as I usually did.

Hearing some clanking of pots and pans in the kitchen, I knew Luca was also cleaning up. Aw fuck, if I could just somehow catch him at the right moment. He barely even spoke a word to me today.

Suddenly, I had a brilliant idea. My lips curved up in a slow grin as I headed to the kitchen with my mop and bucket of water.

As I expected, Luca looked up at the sound of my entrance, but didn't say anything as he wordlessly continued wiping the counters. I grabbed my mop and started swishing it on the floor in erratic and uneven motions.

Feeling his stare, I bit my lip to hide my smile as I knew I had his attention now.

"Alright Allison, what do you want? Just stop the mopping please. It's torture," he groaned.