Mary

Chapter Sixteen

"Are you okay? You look a little stressed." Mary asked. We were currently sitting on the floor around the fireplace in the common room, doing homework.

"I'm fine. Just tired." I reply. Last week was the quidditch game between Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. I had only told Lily what happened, and I had no intention of telling anyone else.

"Lily, will you proofread my transfiguration essay?" She asked, handing a full piece of parchment to her.

"Sure." She days cheerfully. Why is she so cheerful? There's no reason to be happy. Me and Sirius haven't spoken since the quidditch match, and every time we see each other, we avert our gaze. I miss Sirius, even though it's my fault we haven't spoken.

Just then, the portrait swings open, and the sound of familiar laughter fills the room. The rest of the Marauders enter. Remus walks over to me, and sits to my left.

"What are you working on?"

"Transfiguration." I respond simply. I can feel Sirius' gaze on me. I risk a glance, and catch his eye. He was the first to look away. I wanted my friend back. Me and Sirius were never as close as I am to James, but I still miss him.

"What is going on with you two?" James asks suddenly. My head shoots up, and I lock eyes with Sirius immediately.

"Umm- Lils, Mary, do you guys wanna study in the dorm? It's quieter in there."

"Okay." They both say together. They throw questioning glances to me and the rest of the Marauders. I grab my things, and stalk up the steps to the girls dorms. Once we're out of earshot, Lily whispers to me,

"Are you okay?" 

"Fine." I say angrily. I throw my things on my bed unceremoniously. Mary walks in dazily.

"What's with you?"

"Didn't you see how handsome he looked?" She sighs dreamily

"Who?"

"Sirius. He's so handsome." She responds like it was obvious. "He's so kind, too." I almost roll my eyes, and I almost tell her to take it back.

"I guess?" I say, more like a question than a statement.

"Do you think he likes me?" My breath catches, and my heart rises to my throat.

"I don't know. He likes all the girls."

"Don't say that! He's amazing."

"What's with this sudden interest in him?" I ask, annoyed.

"I've always liked him. And I mean it. Ever since first year I've had a crush on him, and I think he feels the same."

"Why do you think that?"

"He left a bouquet outside, and the card was so romantic. I think he likes me. I mean, he wouldn't give me flowers unless he did, right?"

"He sent you flowers?" I ask hesitantly 

"Well, who else could they have been for? James is in love with Lily, Sirius wouldn't get in the middle of that. Molly is dating Arthur, and Sirius has never expressed interest in her before. Same with Alice. And you two have hated each other since year one!" 

"What did the card say?" She pulls a little piece of paper out of her pocket, and hends it to me-

Love,

I'm sorry if my actions have been confusing.