Chapter Nine: Interrogating Snake

I tackle him yelling, “Snake! It really is you!” I hit him on the arm. “Why did you act like I was crazy before?”

Guilt flashes through his eyes as he meets my gaze, “Yes, it’s me. I acted like you were crazy because I was afraid what you just did would happen infront of everyone. I’m famous now. I can’t have people knowing I used to be a stoner.”

That’s when I realize he said he used to be a stoner. Curious I ask, “Wait, when did you become clean?”

Snake sits down on the counter beside me saying, “A few months after you went to rehab, I decided to go.”

“But you were the one that tried to talk me out of going to rehab and getting clean,” I comment confused.

---------FLASHBACK---------

Snake and I were walking down an abandoned alley behind the mall. This is our special place where we can go when the rest of the gang is getting on our nerves. My palms start to sweat as I think about why I followed him here. I’m not ready to come out of my hiding spot behind the dumpster, so I hope he hasn’t realized I’m here.

“I know you are there, Tessa,” he says. 

“Damn,” I whisper to myself. I hear footsteps heading toward the dumpster I’m hiding behind. I look down thinking, He’s about to find me. 

“Tessa, why are you hiding?” he says as he rounds the corner of the dumpster. “I see you, Tessa. Get up.”

I look up at Snake to find him reaching his hand out to help me up. I take his hand and pull myself off the ground. I hope he doesn’t realize how sweaty my hand is. 

“Tessa, what is wrong?” he asks as he leans against the wall in front of me. 

I’m not ready to tell him. “Nothing,” I say without looking at him.

I feel his fingers wrap around my chin as he slowly lifts my face. He moves my hair out of my face, so he can look me in the eye. “You’re lying. I know something is wrong. Your hands are sweaty, you look anxious, and you hid from me. Why did you follow me here?” he asks worried.

“Nothing is wrong. I followed you here to tell you something important, but I’m scared about how you’re going to take it,” I reply. It’s now or never.

I feel my anxiety wash away as Snake cups my cheek and looks in my eyes saying, “You can tell me anything. Besides, I got something important to tell you too.”

“I’m leaving the gang and going to rehab,” I say in a rush. 

I watch as his face transforms from caring to pissed, and I regret telling him. He pushes away from me saying, “What? Why?”

Shocked by his outburst, I reply, “I want to do something with my life, Snake. I want to go back to school, graduate, get a job….”

He cuts me off and asks, “Why would you want to leave me?”

“What do you mean leave you? I was thinking that we could still be friends,” I say fighting tears.

“If you go to rehab, we are not friends. You are dead to me if you do this,” he spits in my face.

As I feel the tears start streaming down my face, I say, “Well, I guess this is good-bye, then….”

----------------END OF FLASHBACK-----------------

I come back to the present as Snake waves his hand in front of my face. I remember the heartache of that day like it was yesterday. I look up at his face with the memory fresh on my mind. 

“Why are you crying?” Snake asks as I realize the tears flowing down my cheeks. He cups my face and wipes my tears with his thumb. 

I remove his hands from my face and turn my back to him, so he can’t see my face. I hate crying because it makes me feel weak. 

“Snake,” I say quietly, “can I tell you something?”

He turns me around until I am facing him again and says, “The last time you said that things didn’t end well, but you can tell me anything.”

I look into his eyes and tell him the truth, “I’m crying because I remember the heartache of that day like it just happened yesterday. After I left you standing there, I went straight to rehab. I cried myself to sleep for months because you hated me. You were the only person I had at the time, and you left me. You told me that if I go to rehab, I am dead to you, and then you fucking follow me to rehab! Are you fucking serious?”

Snake looks at me sadly as he brings me into a tight hug. As he puts his face in the crook of my neck, I feel his tears wetting my skin. 

“Now,” I say shocked, “why are you crying?” 

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean it when I said that. I was just upset. I could never hate you,” he mumbles into my neck. 

“It’s ok,” I try to console him, “but why did you say that to me that day?”

He lets go of me and lifts his head, so he can look me in the eyes. “You remember when I told you I had something important to tell you that day?” 

“Yes,” I reply. “Why?”

He doesn’t even blink as he says, “I was going to tell you that I had feelings for you that day. That’s why I was so upset. I love you, Tessa. I still do. That’s why I followed you to rehab.” 

“I have feelings for you, too. That’s why I wanted us to stay friends. You ripped my heart out that day,” I reply. 

He looks at me shocked. I don’t think he expected me to say that. Before I can blink twice, Snake leans in. My first kiss in an abandoned bathroom…how ironic. I take a chance and lean in, too. As our lips are about to touch, we hear a bloodcurdling scream echo through the building. 

 Sorry for the long wait guys, but here it is. Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Any feedback or comments you got I'd love to hear.