Part 16

"I don't get it, Ooty? Really?" Arnav looked puzzled at Khushi, who managed to sit primly in her office chair on her first day at work

"I don't get it, Ooty? Really?" Arnav looked puzzled at Khushi, who managed to sit primly in her office chair on her first day at work. "Is it so urgent to go tomorrow?" His skepticism was hard to miss.

"Arnav, please. Naina is my college buddy, and she's getting engaged. I really want to be there for her," Khushi explained with a sincerity that made her eyes sparkle.

"But Khushi, I've never even heard of this Naina before," he said, his eyebrows knitting together in suspicion.

"That's because we barely touch on my past, like where I went to college or what I studied. Understanding each other takes time, you know," she replied, her casual shrug eliciting a sigh of disappointment from Arnav.

"I get it, I should've been more curious about you. But we always end up talking about me, my family, or us. I'm trying, though. Like I know now your major in accounting," he admitted, looking away, guilty.

"My Jaan, I'm not blaming you," she said, standing to wrap her arms around his neck. "Our marriage came with its own set of challenges. We'll get there, understanding each other more with time. And Naina, well, she's an old college friend I caught up with on Facebook. I've been looking forward to seeing her."

"Okay, but how about traveling alone?" His fingers gently brushed her hair, his worry evident. "I've got clients from Sydney tomorrow. I can't accompany you, and I'm not comfortable letting you go alone. Maybe Di can go with you?"

"No way. Di is swamped with her orphanage, especially with Diwali around the corner," Khushi pouted.

"I could ask NK then," he suggested, only to be quickly rebuffed.

"Absolutely not."

"What the—? Oh, come on, why? NK is practically your best friend, and he could use a break these days," he chuckled, only to receive a smack.

"That's mean," she glared. "I want NK and Lavanya to spend some time together, okay? They should enjoy a day off at RM."

"Then take Payal with you."

"Jeeji is helping Buaji since she's not feeling well," she informed him.

"So, who's left?" he asked, clearly exasperated. "Mami is a walking alarm system, Nani is not up for the travel, Akash is buried in work—"

"Can I take Aman with me?" she asked, her big hazel eyes catching him completely off guard.

"Aman? Aman Mathur?" He couldn't hide his incredulity.

"Yes, our Aman. He has family back in Ooty, so it's not a total loss for him. He's your most trusted guy, a good friend, and perfectly capable of babysitting your clumsy wife," she said, batting her eyelashes innocently.

"Since when did you two become such chums? This is news to me," he frowned, his mind racing with thoughts of mischief.

"Aman is family, Arnav. So, are you sending him with me or not? The man deserves a break from the crazy schedule you've got him on," she said, standing up from his lap with an exaggerated eye roll.