chapter 5

Niall is attacked leaving an interview and the boys must pull together to help their band mate through his recovery. It isn't easy...

-

The feeling of sleeping in his own bed again was indescribable and he spent the first few days back in London in it, leaving only to use the bathroom.

The other boys were happy to let him do as he pleased and let him have some time to himself.

They started to grow worried on the fourth day, however, when it looked like Niall planned on spending the day in bed once again and decided that sending Liam in to talk to the reluctant blonde would be the best course of action.

"Come on, you need to get up and move around, start building your strength up again." Liam told him, poking him through the covers. "You can't stay in bed forever."

Niall rolled over and out of Liam's reach without saying a word.

"Hey, what's up with you? You were doing so well last week, what's changed?"

Niall didn't say anything and instead glared into space.

"Have we- have I done something wrong?"

'YES!' Niall wanted to scream. 'You're so perfect and the fans all love you and you don't even have to try!'

"Come on, Nialler, talk to me."

But Niall didn't want to talk. He wanted to melt into his mattress and let the world pass him by, why couldn't Liam see that?

He mumbled a few choice swearwords at the older boy, praying that he would get the message and just leave him alone.

"Don't talk to me like that, Niall, all I'm trying to do is help." Liam sounded like he was getting frustrated.

And Niall snapped.

He shouted angrily at Liam when he pulled the covers away from his thin body and he sat up quickly, quicker than he probably should have as he pulled at the wound in his stomach and let out an involuntary wince.

Liam was shouting now, too, his concern and confusion quickly turning to anger in the face of Niall's heated words, "what the hell is wrong with you today?"

And Niall wanted to cry because there was so much wrong with him.

He couldn't sing, he was ugly, he was dragging One Direction down and ruining everyone's careers. He was also the reason that the fans couldn't talk to the rest of the boys and the hate he had gotten on twitter for that had left his mind reeling.

Because he wasn't the one they wanted to see.

He was holding the other boys back.

He was being a baby and needed to get the hell over himself.

And, maybe worst of all, were the ones telling him that it would have been better if he had died so that the rest of the band could move on and keep making music instead of waiting for him to finally pull himself together. Didn't he know the boys would be so much better off without him?

He shoved Liam as hard as he could in the chest when the older boy reached out to touch his arm and he screamed words that he didn't mean.

Liam looked at him in shock and tried to argue with Niall but he wouldn't listen and that just made him angrier.

It had all spiralled out of control so quickly and neither of them could take back the words that they had said.

Liam shouted words born of frustration rather than truth, "Don't you know how much time we've sacrificed for your self-centred ass? How many hours we wasted at the hospital when we could have been out there doing better things? Seeing our family and friends, people who actually care about us, instead of some self-absorbed asshole? I don't know why I'm even bothering with you!"