chapter 14

Niall is attacked leaving an interview and the boys must pull together to help their band mate through his recovery. It isn't easy...

-

Liam broke the kiss, his hands dropping to his sides as if he had been burned, and turned wide eyes on the person stood at the entrance to his living room.

"Niall-." He started but the Irish boy didn't let him get any further before turning and fleeing from the flat.

Niall wanted to get away, to find somewhere and hide and pretend that he had never seen Liam kissing Danielle.

Pretend Liam had never lied to him.

That he wasn't hurting so fucking much.

That his heart hadn't shattered into a million pieces at the sight of them together.

Because Liam had told him he loved him. He had kissed him. Promised him he'd be there for him.

And Niall had believed him.

Trusted him.

He pulled the police tape down that should have kept him out of his flat and stormed into the dark, suddenly so full of anger that he hit and kicked out at anything that he came into contact with.

Why had Liam done this to him?

Why had Niall been so gullible? Why had he believed the other boy? Let himself fall so hard for him?

He loved Liam.

Loved him.

Didn't Liam love him back?

Had he only said those three words out of pity?

Thinking that the only way to keep Niall from breaking was to pretend he loved him, pretend to care for him, while he continued to date Danielle behind his back.

The anger suddenly flooded out of him and he sank to his knees and sobbed.

Had the other boys known Liam's plan? Asked him to do it? Had they laughed at him when Liam told them about their kiss? How happy it had made him?

'Poor, pathetic Nialler.' They must have thought. 'Did he actually think that someone as perfect as Liam could fall in love with him? Hadn't he seen himself? Who could ever love that?'

He banged his fists against the floor before tangling his fingers in his hair and pulling as hard as he could, knowing he needed the pain it caused. Knowing he deserved it.

He had been so stupid!

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Then hands were prying his fingers loose and pulling him against a warm chest and he let himself be held, suddenly so exhausted and empty.

He thought the other person was laughing at him but he couldn't bring himself to care anymore.

'Let them laugh.' He thought. 'I deserve it for being such a fool. Who could ever love me?'

But the other person wasn't laughing, they were crying.

Hot, angry tears that burned their way down their face and left their whole body shaking from barely concealed rage.

Niall might have realised that if he had just opened his eyes, just let himself believe that someone still cared about him. But he didn't. He couldn't.

The hopelessness and despair that he felt swallowed him whole and left no room for anything else.

He let the other person lift him and carry him without complaint. He didn't care where they were going, what the other person wanted from him, what they would do once they reached their destination.