chapter 13

Niall is attacked leaving an interview and the boys must pull together to help their band mate through his recovery. It isn't easy...

-

Liam's phone rang within seconds of them piling into the car.

"It's management." He said, glancing at the caller ID before answering the phone.

"How do they know?" Harry asked. "Someone must have told them!"

"One of security, maybe." Zayn suggested but they all felt strangely repulsed by the idea.

Security had been hired to keep them safe and they all trusted them, even the newer guys, and got along with them all really well. Surely one of them wouldn't betray them like that?

"You're kidding." Liam said suddenly and they all watched his face drain of colour. "Where? When?"

Niall sagged against Harry's side, suddenly unable to keep his body upright, and the younger boy pulled him close, "are you alright, Nialler?"

Niall shook his head.

He was stuck in a nightmare.

"Have you eaten that toast I gave you?" Louis asked him.

Niall wasn't even aware that he still held it tightly in his hand until Harry lifted his limp arm from between the crush of their bodies and said, "I don't think it's quite edible anymore."

"Guys..." Liam said, slowly, attracting their attention as he fiddled with his phone in his hands, "something has happened."

"I think we realised that." Louis' words were sharp.

Liam ignored him, "the death threats are all over the papers and the internet because, well, there's been another one. Management started getting calls from journalists about 3am- asking about what's been going on, for how long, why hadn't we told anyone, that sort of thing- and they denied that anything was even happening because, you know, we had told them that we wanted to keep it a secret and-."

"You're rambling." Zayn cut him off.

"Sorry." Liam said and rubbed at his eyes. "She left a message at the radio station. Painted it in red, just like Niall's flat, straight onto the wall for everyone to see. They found it when the fans started turning up."

"So nobody knows about what happened last night?" Harry asked with a frown.

"No." Liam said. "Just this message."

"What are we going to do?" Zayn asked.

"What did management say?" Louis questioned the younger boy.

"Admit that it's happening but to play it down, as if it isn't a big deal." Liam replied. "I don't know how the hell they expect us to do that."

"Can't we cancel the interview?" Harry asked.

Liam shook his head, "unfortunately, no. That'd just draw more attention."

"What did you say, Niall?" Harry asked, leaning closer to the smaller boy.

His eyes widened and he swore before shouting, "stop the car!"

The car had barely pulled over, never mind stopped, before Harry was flinging the door open and pushing Niall's head out into the fresh air just as he started to retch.

Having not eaten much the night before and nothing this morning, only water and bile passed his lips until there was nothing left. It took a while for his body to come to this realisation, though, and he continued to dry heave for minutes afterwards.