A Captain and his First Mate

Reluctantly the man groaned, before he looks back at her, his blue eyes already telling her he surrendered.

"Alright, I will take you to meet the captain. But that is all I am promising."

She couldn't help but smile triumphantly.

"Thats all I need. Just let me go get Sebby."

His hand grew tighter around her arm.

"Oh no, you are facing the Captain on your own."

For a moment, she felt nervous, then she squared her shoulder and followed  him down to the docks, he led the way on to a modest, well matained ship.

The ship swayed gently as she stepped on the gangway to cross over to the ship.

Once on board, he motioned for her to go behind the wheel, to a set of sturdy doors, which he knocked on and waited for an answer.

"Enter."

He turned the knob and gives a slight bow, allowing her into the darkened room first.

She wasn't sure what to expect, but it wasn't what she saw before her.

The room was large and spacious, the back of the room illuminated by windows, one open wide allowing a salty sea breeze into the room, handsome wooden shelves full of books and objects lined the walls, there was a large dinning table, behind that sat a large desk with maps and navigation charts covering it, an oil lamp, several compasses, an astrolab, and a sexton.

A large, broad shouldered man, with dark greying hair at his temples and sharp wearied eyes looks up at her and then looks over and addresses the man.

"What is the meaning of this?"

He gave a flourish of his hand towards her, briefly she gave him a heated glare, apparently he meant "I will take you to meet the captain" in the most literal sense possible.

She pulled back the hood of her cloak and briefly shook out her hair before walking forward towards the captain.

She stopped just before the front of the desk, the dark sea captain looking at her suspiously.

"I wish to apply to be the new cook and my brother a sailor."

Instantly he leaned around her to glare at the man who had brought her here, he gave a shrug from the bookcase he was leaning against, before turning back to her.

"No, I do not take women on board. You'll cause nothing but trouble."

"I promise I won't, I just-"

Suddenly that desperate feeling had returned, the feeling that she had stayed in one place too long and at any moment her stepmother would find her, she bit her lip to keep from starting to cry.

"What? You just what?"

She closed her eyes for the briefest of moments before choosing honesty.

"I need to leave."

The captains dark eyes were on her face, taking in her every move.

"Why?"

"I can't tell you."

He looked behind her and jerked his head at the man behind her.

"Alexander out."

She waited till she heard the doors shut behind her and Alexander's foot steps fade away.

The captain groaned and gets to his feet, his black leather coat swishing as he walked around to sit on the front desk next to where she is standing.