We Say Our Final Farewells, Or Do We?

The walk back to the hospital was pretty peaceful. I was walking hand-in-hand with Kayla, Ponyth, Bella, and Kallie were in front of us, and Stella was walking next to me. Every once in a while Stella would nudge my hand or lick it. When she nudged my hand I would pet her head or scratch behind her ear. She really liked it when I scratched behind her left ear. I would be sad if I wouldn't be able to take her home with me. I really liked having a dog, even if it was part demon.

Every once in a while, Kayla would talk to me about her life and what she wanted to do when she was back in the normal world. It seems like forever ago that all of this started. I mean, for most people, it was their whole lives but for me, it seemed like longer than a lifetime. It seemed like I'd been battling this death forever. I guess that's just what happens when your life is in danger.

Once we got back to the hospital, we walked up the stairs and down the hallway to the room. When we got there Dr. Ramos was waiting.

"Welcome back," he said. "Kallie, how nice to see you!"

"Nice to see you too, Mr. R," Kallie responded.

"Wait," I said. "You two know each other?"

"Oh, sure," Dr. Ramos started. "I took care of Kallie when she first came to the jail. Well, Billy did, but he introduced us before she got taken. Kallie is like my daughter." He said this as he ruffled up the top of her head. She laughed when he did that.

"Mr. R has always been kind to me," she said. "That's why I like him so much."

You know, for someone that had been taken for so long and tortured, Kallie was really light-spirited and happy. It kind of struck me as odd that it was like that. She probably had more trauma than all of us and she looked happy. That should tell everyone that no amount of trauma can tear you down to sadness.

"And I like you," he said in return. "Come on, Kallie, let's get you a quick checkup."

"Okay!" She said, excitedly as if getting a checkup was the most exciting and thrilling thing in the world. I mean I get it she was barely a teenager but she acted like a kid. I guess I would think anything is exciting if I went through what she did but that's just me.

I sat down on the floor with my back to the wall. Stella laid down in front of me and rested her head on my lap. I pet her head gently which she seemed to like. Kayla sat down to the left of me, Bella sat down in front of me on the other side of Stella, and Ponyth grabbed a chair and pulled it up to the circle.

"I feel awful," I said.

"Why, Pil?" Kayla asked.

"Billy's dead and it's all because of me."

"No, don't talk like that. You couldn't help his death. It was in no way your fault."

"It was. I turned my back to Monada and he died. It was because of me."

"Piloma, if I may," Ponyth started. "My sister is, well, was, a bad person. She cared for no one but herself. She wanted to destroy you and she knew your weak points. She knew you were close with Billy so she eliminated him. It wasn't your fault that he died. It was Monada's."

I nodded reluctantly. "I suppose you're right."

I was silent for a while but then something hit me like a punch to the gut. "Oh, no."

"What is it?" Bella asked.

"Who's going to tell Dr. Ramos?" I asked.

"I think it should be you, Pil," Kayla said.

I looked down at Stella. "I suppose so."

There was a moment of silence. All I could think about was Billy's limp body and me watching him fade away. It was such a horrible experience and I knew it would stay with me forever. Other than Bella, Billy was one of my closest friends I've ever had. He knew how to cheer me up and how to make me feel like I was worthy of everything. He never let me talk myself down either. Now he was gone.