13| the realization story

Chapter 94: Running From the Past

As Andrew and I kept driving, the reality of what I had done began to sink in. I had turned off my phone's location services, and I knew that no one would be able to track us easily, but the weight of my decision felt heavier with each passing mile. Running away wasn't the smartest idea—I knew that. But I felt like I had no other choice. Going back wasn't an option. Lorenzo had hurt me so deeply, and I didn't know how to face him or anyone else after what had happened. I felt so lost, and the pain was overwhelming. Sixteen is supposed to be about figuring things out, but right now, it just felt like everything was falling apart, and I had to do it all on my own.

"It's getting really late, Lilly," Andrew said after a while, his voice cutting through my spiraling thoughts. "We need to pull over."

"Fine, pull over right here," I said, pointing to a small rest area on the side of the road. The night was dark, and the road was nearly empty. The headlights of our car cast long, eerie shadows as we came to a stop.

"You're sure they can't track your phone?" he asked as he parked the car, turning off the engine. The silence that followed was almost suffocating.

"Yeah, I'm sure. I turned off everything. And if they somehow manage to find us, I'll break my phone," I said, my voice firm with determination. I was resolute in my decision to stay hidden. I wasn't ready to face the mess I had left behind.

"Wow, you're really serious about this," he replied, a hint of worry in his voice as he leaned back in his seat and glanced over at me.

"I have to be," I said, looking out the window at the darkened landscape, feeling the weight of the situation pressing down on me. "Are you hungry?"

"Yeah, I didn't eat all day," he admitted, his tone lighter, as if trying to distract me from my thoughts.

"That's why I took a little longer packing. I brought snacks," I said, trying to lighten the mood.

"Really? You're a lifesaver!" he said, smiling for the first time in hours. "Thank you... for letting me come with you. I didn't want you to be alone."

"I'm glad you came. I don't like being alone, especially not now," I said softly. The truth was, being alone with my thoughts right now terrified me. The memories of Lorenzo, the betrayal, the hurt—it was all too much to handle on my own.

"So... does this mean you've chosen me?" he asked hesitantly, breaking the silence that had settled between us.

"I don't want to talk about that right now, Andrew," I replied, the tension in my voice clear. I knew we needed to have that conversation eventually, but tonight wasn't the time. "Right now, I just need to figure things out."

"Okay," he said, his voice gentle. He leaned in to kiss me, and for a moment, I let myself get lost in it. His lips were warm and familiar, and I couldn't deny that I had feelings for him. But as he began to unbutton my shirt, I pulled away.

"I can't... not right now," I said, my voice trembling. "It's just... everything is so messed up, and I don't know what to do. I like you, Andrew. I really do, but I'm not ready for "I'm sorry, Lilly," he said, his eyes full of understanding. "I didn't mean to push you. I just... I just want to be close to you."

"It's okay," I said, trying to reassure him. "I started it, so I should be the one apologizing. I just need time to think."

"Take all the time you need," he said, wrapping his arms around me. We sat in silence for a while, just holding each other, before deciding to call it a night.

As we settled down in the car, the silence was comforting, but my mind kept racing. I stared up at the stars through the windshield, trying to find some semblance of peace in the chaotic thoughts swirling in my head. Andrew's steady breathing beside me eventually lulled me to sleep, but my dreams were filled with memories of Lorenzo, of all the moments we'd shared, and the harsh reality of what had happened between us. The pain was still fresh, and it cut deep.