22|The trip story

Chapter 128: The Paris Proposal**

My heart sank as my dad mentioned Paris. The thought of spending an entire month away from everything familiar, with Riley of all people, filled me with unease. But I couldn't deny the allure of Paris—the city of love, art, and dreams. I looked at my dad, who was eagerly waiting for my response, his eyes full of hope and a touch of guilt.

"Paris?" I repeated, trying to keep my voice steady. "For a whole month?"

"Yes, sweetheart," my dad replied, his voice gentle. "I thought it could be a great way for us to reconnect as a family. I know things have been rough, especially after everything that's happened between your mom and me, but I want to make it up to you. To all of you."

I bit my lip, glancing at Eddie, who was sitting across from me. His expression was unreadable, but I could tell he wasn't thrilled about the idea either. Matthew, on the other hand, seemed somewhat excited, though he kept quiet, perhaps not wanting to sway my decision.

"And... Riley?" I asked hesitantly, the name almost catching in my throat.

My dad sighed and nodded. "Yes, Riley will be there too. I know it's not ideal, but she's trying to make amends. She wants to get to know you better, Lilly."

I forced a smile, though inside, I was conflicted. Riley had always been a sore point for me. She wasn't my mom, and she never would be, no matter how hard she tried. But I couldn't deny that she was making an effort, especially after our shopping trip the other day. Still, a month in Paris with her? It felt overwhelming.

"I don't know, Dad," I said slowly. "It's a lot to think about."

"Take your time, Lilly," my dad said, reaching across the table to squeeze my hand. "I just want you to know that the invitation is open. You don't have to decide right now."

I nodded, feeling the weight of the decision pressing down on me. The idea of Paris was tempting, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it would change everything. A whole month away from Dylan, Sophia, and even my mom—it felt like too much too soon.

Later that night, as I lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, I thought about what Paris would mean. It wasn't just a vacation; it was an escape, a chance to run away from everything that had happened. But was that what I wanted? Or was it just another way to avoid the problems I couldn't face?

My phone buzzed on the nightstand, pulling me out of my thoughts. It was a text from Dylan.

Dylan: Hey, how are you holding up?

I hesitated before replying, unsure of how much to share. But if there was one person I could be honest with, it was Dylan.

Me: I'm okay, just a lot on my mind. My dad wants us to go to Paris for a month.*

Dylan: Paris? Wow. Are you going to go?*

Me: I don't know. It's complicated.

Dylan: I get that. But whatever you decide, just know I'm here for you.

I smiled at his words, feeling a little lighter. Dylan had always known how to make me feel better, even when I didn't want to talk about what was bothering me.

Me: Thank you. I'm going to miss you if I do go.

Dylan: I'll miss you too, but I'll be right here when you get back. Promise.

His words brought a sense of comfort, and for a moment, I imagined what it would be like to be in Paris, walking along the Seine, exploring the art galleries, and seeing the Eiffel Tower at night. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad after all.