Ch. 18: Breaking

October 10, 2018

It's been two days. A light scoff escapes me as I remember that. It's only been two days? Why is it taking so long for time to pass?

I don't think I've been able to do much in the past two days. I couldn't eat, no matter how many times either one of the girls came in and prodded me to eat, I couldn't sleep, despite the fact that all I did was just sit on the bed all day, staring at nothing as the day wore on, and I couldn't bring myself to move. It's just that ecerything seemed so pointless.

And yet, the journal continues glowing. Eunwoo keeps calling out to me, both in the journal whose contents I don't even read anymore, and occasionally but less often, in my head.

"Please... open the journal."

Eunwoo pleads again to me today, his voice laced with concern rather than the despair I had felt the first time I communicated with him.

What's his problem? He had dragged me into this and had expected me to do something I couldn't even do all along. WHAT IS HIS PROBLEM?!

"Myungjun, please..."

"Enough!" I shout out frustratedly as I quickly stand up, grabbing the journal from the desk and stomping out of my room.

Hayoung sees me as soon as I step out, and her eyes widen just as she sees me, but I ignore her as I head straight outside. "Eunwoo, wait!" she calls out to me, but I'm more willing to do what I'm planning to do rather than stopping and listening to her now, only to hesitate in my plans later on.

Quickly grabbing the matchbox from just beside the door, I head straight to the barbecue area and toss the journal into the charcoals. Behind me, I can still hear Hayoung calling me, calling Eunwoo's name, mixing up with Eunwoo's confused asking.

"Myungjun, what are you doing? Myungjun!"

"Leave me alone!" I shout out angrily as I harshly strike the match against the box and toss the lit up match into the charcoal pit. It immediately lights up in a small flame, and I step back as I watch the journal start burning, a breath of whatever emotion, I can't quite tell, escaping me as I look on, my eyes wide.

Suddenly, the small flame ignites into a huge one and I step back as I hold my arm over my face, later on slowly removing my arm as I watch the journal start to incinerate.

I don't hear Eunwoo's calls anymore. It's as if he had completely gone, and I'm only left with a much more deeper loneliness now.

But, then again, isn't it better this way?

My eyes start filling up with tears again, but I quickly turn away from the burning journal and start walking back inside the house, crumpling the matchbox in my hands.

Hayoung walks up to me with a worried expression as I step inside, and I give her a glance for a second before I continue walking to my room. She must have noticed my teary eyes as I had seen her eyes widen right before I turned away, but I ignore her once again.

Then she speaks. "Eunwoo, what was that?" she asks me, concern in her voice.

I stop in my tracks, and I let out a sigh before I give her an answer. "It's nothing." I then continue walking when she calls me again.

"Eunwoo... what was it?"

I feel my frustration rising, but I take control of myself before I go into another outburst. "I told you, it's nothing, alright? Now let me go already."

But Hayoung won't leave me alone, and I hear her footsteps behind me as she approaches me. "Eunwoo-"

And the outburst happens. "I already told you that it's nothing!" I shout as I turn to her, accidentally pushing her back.