🌞Chapter 9🌻

🌞

"But doesn't that really mean nothing's changed?" Mew mused.

If no one else knew about the game of 'pretend lovers,' nothing special would happen on a day-to-day basis.

"Maybe I'm in a worse situation now than I was before," Mew moaned.

That's right---his daily trip to Gulf's apartment was now forbidden. On top of that, it was not like they could talk freely at school, and they hadn't arranged any dates.

"I wonder when I can see him next," Mew whispered near the crowded bike rack after school on Monday.

He couldn't believe he realized something this important only now. Had he realized it yesterday, or Sunday, he would have made Gulf promise to see him sometime.

"I'm so stupid!" Mew wailed softly.

'If we didn't promise to see each other again, this might be the end of it!'

"Maybe I'm just really gullible."

Gulf had brought up the game of pretend lovers, but maybe he just took advantage of Mew's premature joy in order to distance himself?

'No, Teach Gulf isn't that kind of person.'

Mew shook his head vigorously and straddled the bicycle seat. Gulf wasn't the kind of person to deceive others.

'You better study your ass off this year.'

"Ah..."

That's right. Gulf had been encouraging him.

Mew stopped his bike and looked over his shoulder at the school building.

🌻

"Gulf." Bright grabbed Gulf's arm in the middle of the deserted hallway.

"Ah! You scared me! Don't just sneak up on me from behind like that, Bright!" Gulf laughed.

"I'll treat you to dinner tonight," Bright said frankly.

"Huh? What's with you all of a sudden?" Gulf asked.

"It'll be about eight o'clock when the club activities are over," Bright said. "And it's to thank you for Saturday. For the bath and the pizza."

"That's what friends are for," Gulf said. "You don't have to thank me."

"Do you already have plans?" Bright inquired.

"Not really..." Gulf trailed off then said suspiciously, "You're acting weird, Bright."

The truth was, Bright wanted to be alone with Gulf.

When they had been in high school, they had gone out for two years. But during the spring of their third year of high school, Bright broken up with Gulf, using the entrance exams as an excuse. Even though Bright had never told him the real reason, Gulf always known the truth. It was a painful reason, and Bright was a kind person, so he had never said it out loud.

Of course, Gulf also knew they hadn't broken up because Bright didn't have feelings for him. But it took many years to forget him.

Coincidentally, they had both gotten jobs at the same school after graduation. They tried to be friends, but Bright had always held back. He hadn't wanted to be near Gulf anymore. Not because he hated him, but as a precaution. He hadn't wanted those feelings to return.

Gulf had sensed this, and never approached him unless it was absolutely necessary. Which explained his misgivings about Bright's suddenly friendly attitude.

"Hey, Gulf, something's been bothering me lately," Bright said, trying to change the subject. "Why did Mew come to your apartment on Saturday night? You're not in charge of his class."

"Maybe he had a friend that lives in my complex? I don't know the details. But it looked like he got mixed up in that pizza delivery somehow," Gulf said, laughing.

"Yeah, I guess it didn't look like he had any business with you," Bright said.

Gulf was the one who had invited Mew inside, and the boy had been about to go home right after Bright did. Bright was worrying too much.

"So did you make him clean up?" he asked.

"Of course," said Gulf.

"Did he get home okay?" Bright asked. "It was getting pretty late."

Gulf stared at him and said, "Bright, I understand you're playing the role of a concerned teacher here, but stop asking me so many questions. You're acting weird."

Asking him to borrow his bath, saying he'd treat him to dinner...where was his usual caution? "Do I look so helpless that you're asking me out because you pity me?"

Was it still like that?

"No, that's not it," Bright quickly denied.

"Then what is it?" Gulf prompted.

"Let's get back together, Gulf." Bright burst out.

"What?" Gulf cried.

Bright pulled Gulf closer. "Let's get back together."

He embraced him tightly.

TBC