I Will Cleave to you Dunedain

Arwen was greatly troubled by the visions that she saw in the mirror. In either life, she would live with regret, and in either life, the people she loved would be hurt no matter the decision she made.

Though she did not even so much as hint to Aragorn the thoughts that were churning in her mind, she was very grateful for him being there. His presence was calming to her, and for a brief moment, she would enjoy herself, and not think of the decision lying before her.

It was a few weeks after Aragorn had entered the realm of Lothlorien. It was early morning, and Arwen, after resting herself in the manner of the elves, drinking in the beauty of the surrounding nature, she went up once again to see her grandmother. She knocked lightly on the door and was surprised to hear her grandfather's voice telling her she could enter.

Seated in chairs opposite each other, looking deep into each other's blue eyes, sat the Lord and Lady of Lorien. "Grandfather Celeborn, Grandmother Galadriel, Almáre' rain."

       "Almáre' rain Arwen. Have you made your decision?" Her grandmother asked, a hint of tears showing in her eyes.

"I am trying to Grandmother. It seems my mind is too confused to reach a conclusion."

       "And your heart Arwen? What does your heart say? Is it confused?"

"No grandmother," Arwen whispered, "My heart wants to be with him."

       "Then your decisions has been made Arwen, your fate decided," As Galadriel pronounced these things, a single tear ran down her cheek, for she dearly loved her granddaughter. "On this midsummer's day, you have chosen the one whom your heart desires."

"Nay grandmother, my heart says it was long before now. As he came walking towards me under the trees of Caras Galadhon, my choice was made and my doom appointed."

       "Of this you must tell him, for his time of rest had ended, and he must return to the perils of the world."

       And so it was that Arwen sought out Aragorn and together they walked to the hill of Cerin Amroth. As they journeyed the manner of each to the other was softened, and the hearts of the two so often hardened were softened under each other's gaze.

"And on the evening of Midsummer Aragorn, Arathorn's son, and Arwen daughter of Elrond went to the fair hill, Cerin Amroth, in the midst of the land, and they walked unshod on the undying grass with elanor and niphredil about their feet. And there upon that hill they looked east to the Shadow and west to the Twilight, and they plighted their troth and were glad.

And Arwen said: "Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices; for you, Estel, shall be among the great whose valour will destroy it."

But Aragorn answered: "Alas! I cannot foresee it, and how it may come to pass is hidden from me. Yet with your hope I will hope. And the Shadow I utterly reject. But neither, lady, is the Twilight for me; for I am mortal, and if you will cleave to me, Evenstar, then the Twilight you must also renounce."

'And she stood then as still as a white tree, looking into the West, and at last she said: "I will cleave to you, Dunedain, and turn from the Twilight. Yet there lies the of my and the long home of all my kin." She loved her father dearly."

Still in her heart, she knew the decision she had made was right, for had she not, she would have regretted it forever. As Arwen Evenstar and Aragorn of the Dunedain stood at the foot of the hill of Cerin Amroth, Aragorn leaned over, and gently kissed the cheek of the one he loved. Even such a small gesture caused a spark of joy to course through her, and turning toward him, he kissed her on the lips.